• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can a supercharged ep3 pass its MOT?

If I were to plunge for a Rotrex Supercharger kit, would I pass an MOT or would it be a case of swapping out a cat/de-cat pipe?
I don't want to be in a situation where the DVLA could pull me over and fail me either.

Cheers all.

If you decat it, it won't pass an MOT. Get stopped at a roadside check and you'll get done.

You don't have to decat it though.

Leaving the cat pipe in (eg a 400 cell cat high TDI North sell) would certainly restrict power output to the tune of around 15+bhp I would have thought.

Oh of course.

It's whether you are willing to risk it at a roadside check leading to your car being taken off the road as un-roadworthy, but also going through the process of swapping it out at MOT time. I have also been told by insurers previously that they won't cover de-cats as the car is officially un-roadworthy. So not only are you committing a vehicle defect offence, but you potentially also run the risk of driving with invalid insurance if you don't declare it in the event that your insurer won't cover it.

Just food for thought.

I wouldn't risk being illegal. Just wondered more if getting a Rotrex SC kit would be a waste of time if a high flow sports cat was fitted.
Anyone got a Supercharger kit with a Cat pipe?

The only charged EP I ever drove was on a standard OEM manifold, IIRC it was still putting out 290bhp.

My FN2 when charged (Rotrex non-intercooled Sport Kit) only had an intake, catback, FD2 oil pump but still had the standard exhaust manifold with Cat.

RotrexSportDyno230711.jpg

Cheers guys.
Good to know that good gains can still be had then.
Might drop TDI North a call in the early Spring time.

I've been driving cars without a cat on for the past 10 years and I've never been pulled over or had an issue come MOT time. MOT is down to the tester/station (read between the lines here...) and if you get pulled over there's a reshow usually, so just fit the cat back to the car. Realistically you're going to be very unlucky to get pulled over by VOSA though.

I've got Rotrex s/c & run a piper high flow cat + fujitsubo. The car passed it's first MOT emissions, but I caned the snot out of it to get the cat nice & hot so it did pass =)

How do people with a tegiwa or dc sports header get through mots?
It would be a ball ache having to change the header every year.
All the best power mods eliminate the cat pipe.
Tdi north advise against the piper system so my options are nothing now without having tdi's own 3" system and cat with dc sports header. I dont want a loud 3" system.

Back