• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can anybody cheer me up, Click/Tap sound upon pulling off - 2002 EP3 Type R ????

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I 100% appreciate that this subject might have been covered, but I have searched (High and Low), and not yet found anyone that has exactly the same symptoms.

I have a strange click/tap noise that sounds like its coming from the front drivers side. (Not sure exactly where from but sounds like it's coming from, foot-well/Strut Tower/Drivers Side Engine Mount etc.)

It can be heard with the windows up, or down and although It's a pretty quiet click sound, it is a noticeable click if you get me.

You can hear it when pulling off from a start, reversing, and also when driving down the road/motorway by putting foot on accelerator, then coming off, on, off etc.

Nb. You can easily recreate the click sound:
Example -> Say you are going slowly down the road, accelerate 'Click', then come off the accelerator 'Click', On 'click', Off 'Click' .... (weird thing is, if you accelerate slowly/sharply, until you come off the accelerate it will remain silent, then as soon as you come off 'Click')

You do have to mute the stereo to really hear it, but it is noticeable (it's not just me being OCD).

To try and rectify, I have replaced so far:
Tegiwa Subframe Locking Collars (still using the original bolts mind)
OEM Top Mounts and Bearings
OEM Top Mount Nuts
Eibach -30 ABP Lowering Springs
Eibach Camber Bolts
OEM Ball Joints
OEM Tie Rods
OEM Drop-Links
OEM Axle Nuts
OEM ARB Mounts
OEM Engine Mounts All x4
OEM Clutch/Pressure Plate/Thrust Bearing
OEM Complete Exhaust System (Apparently the very last one as they are now discontinued)
[/list]
[/list]

As you can see, I have spent quite literally £'sss trying to rectify this symptom, and funnily enough aside from this, the car runs absolutely spot on and is smooth as you like. just this annoying click/tapping sound as described above.

Any help on the subject I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks
Adam

How is the car for rust underneath? This is very very unlikely but what about the subframe itself? I'd check for any hairline splits/cracks.

You've literally replaced everything else I would associate with such a noise.

Thanks Stoo,

Timing Chain, what makes you things this?

Wouldn't I have a number of symptoms if it was the T.C?

With a further update, I have heard the noise on the occasional unsettled road surface, so something is now leading to suspect something with the Subframe/Subframe Mountings/Bolts.

Anybody's thoughts on this welcome?

Thanks Sam.Ross, I think this would be a good area to re-check...

Does anybody think that the steering rack be a cause of this symptoms?

Thanks Adam.

Back