• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can anybody help?

I have recently advertised my Type R for sale on PistonHeads, I have received an Email from someone who wants to buy it but he is from Birmingham,
He wants to pay for the car in full, but through PayPal?
He doesnt want to pay cash or meet at a bank to transfer the money? This seems strange to me, does anyone know of any scams or am I being over cautious?:confused:

He may have a credit card linked to his paypal.

Could be stolen credit Card, cloned whatever.

Could also just be genuine.

I'd avoid. If he can't stump up cash or get a loan, there's something not right.

I bet he'd be sending money as gift so paypal wouldn't want to know if there is a dispute. If he's using a credit card, like has been said it could be cloned. Do not want.

Yeah thats the lines that I was thinking along. I will see if he replies to my last email asking for cash or bank transfer.

I told him that Payment would have to be in cash or bank transfer, this was a few days ago and no reply.
So its obviously a scam. Some nice people in the world!

it's a scam mate. i got the same thing with someone working on a boat asking to pay by paypal then pick have an 'agent' pick up the car. pretty sure paypal don't do transactions over a few hundred pounds as well. type in the details on google and there will be a mass of similar stories this guys giving you

its a scam. as someone alluded to there is a way of stitching people up by sending as a "gift" and revsersing it, or vica versa. either way paypal for anything over a couple of hundred quid is fail.

Back