• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can I use this oil on my CTR EP3 2005?

Hey guys.

I bought my 2005 ctr ep3 last week. The guy I bought the car from gave me this stuff below (said he hadnt got round to changing the oil).... is this ok to use??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for any assistance!
Ciaran

Thanks but that is like a different language to me. I just want to know if this stuff will do any damage if I use it... Sorry for being thick! :S

10W-40 is recommended for the run in only and being an 05 reg I’m guessing your car is run in now.

After run in Honda recommend anything between 0W-40 & 5W-40

I'm sure oilman will come across this thread soon and will be able to give you a better answer then I can as unlike him I’m not an oil expert.

All I can tell you is that your oil is not recommended for your car, if it'll do damage I can't say

The 10W lets you know the viscosity at low temperature and the 40 is the viscosity at high temperature. Honda recommend a 0W or 5W for low temp viscosity so I’d say whilst your car's warming up it may cause more wear as the oil's thicker then recommended until the car's up to temperature

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda use 10w40 for running in. I don't think you will do any damage using it, but you would be better off 5w40 fully synthetic like Fuchs Titan Pro S.

Cheers guys! Much appreciated. I thought that from reading the info at the link above but just wanted confirmation. Cheers!

Unless you're running your engine from cold in an extremely cold environment, the 10w-40 stuff should be fine.

Basically the 10w number is the viscosity rating of the oil at cold winter temperatures and the 40 number is the viscosity rating once the oil has reached running temperature (around 100 degrees). Therefore at normal running temperatures, a 0W-40 oil is no different from a 10W-40 oil. Honda recommend a winter viscosity grade of 0w to 5w as the oil is thinner in colder temperatures, meaning it will coat the engine quicker, and prevent the engine from seizing.

What you need to remember is that the W rating is for very cold temperatures, so using this oil at this time of the year should be fine. I would recommend using the suggested oil in the Winter to help prevent the above seizing scenario.

Part synthetic oils are designed more to be used in older cars that are more susceptible to oil leaks. this is because they have a natural oil base which has more abnormal molecules which cause by products like waxy residue building up around seals, furthermore preventing leaks from seal deformities. As your CTR is fairly new, it would probably benefit more from a fully synth oil, however sticking the stuff you've got in atm is not going to kill the engine.

My advice would be to use the stuff you have atm for the summer and come winter time, drain the engine completely, change the oil filter and replace with a 0W-40 fully synthetic oil.

Thanks Jermal for the comprehensive response! I will take your advice and use the 10w-40 for now and change it coming into winter, provided I havent wrapped the car around a tree! I'm still getting used to the vtec and the torque steer! lol

This is taken from the Civic workshop manual, Type-R supplement.

63507057.jpg

Back