• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can't believe it..EP3

Hi All,

So I introduced myself recently in the newbies section. I've been looking around for a NHB EP3 type R. Been to see 4 or 5 past few weeks and I randomly got told someone new at work has one and is looking to sell.

It seems like a good deal so very interested. Only thing I noticed is when you rev it (low revs) and the engine revs are reducing - there's a weird rubbing sound from the main engine block. I also heard something similar on another one I went to see but it was much worse than this one from a work colleague.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

anyone know about the knocking/rubbing sound when the engine is going I would guess between (rev) 3k-1.5k.

Hmmm, try and be more descriptive man.

Is it a metallic noise, grinding, rattling ??

Common noise at the rpm is the exhaust manifold heatshield rattling, which sits, at the bottom of the lump, behind the firewall.

I also have a similar sound on mine I think. Put it down to my gearbox on the way out so am pressuming it will need a rebuild sooner or later! What mileage have the cars got?

It recently got serviced and nothing was mentioned (Honda authorised dealer or some sort). 61k just ticked over. Went for a drive in it - everything else seems fine - no major noises, VTEC seems to kick in fine in it. Brakes, Suspension and Acceleration all seem fine.

It's hard to describe, but image a grinding sound as the revs tick down from 3k-2k after giving the accelerator a good kick in neutral.

most likely its the exhaust heat shield or driveshaft shields.Common on these cars. these shields can be removed completely or replaced with new ones.

Back