• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can't Select Gears and 3rd Gear Crunches - Poor Honda Service?

Hi

Please read this and let me know what you think? I feel like I have been treated poorly by Honda.

(2004 54 plate EP3)

After a couple of miles driving the other day I suddenly could not select 1st or 2nd gear and 3rd gear would crunch badly before going in. I could still select 4th, 5th and 6th. As I slowed down to a few mph I could get into 1st and 2nd and so parked up and the car was shuddering / jerking as I reversed it into a parking space.

The next day the car started fine going into all gears without any issues but then a mile later it started again, I was passing a Honda garage so pulled in to ask for advice. When I pulled in, the clutch peddle suddenly dropped and had no resistance so I had to leave it in the middle of the forecourt and ask for help from them.

I told them I couldn't select gears and 3rd gear was crunching badly. They said it was the clutch. So I agreed to leave it with them to fix it. I got a phone call to say it was ready to be picked up but there was an issue with the 3rd gear syncro which I "probably knew about before". As they said it was ready to be picked up I assumed everything was OK so went to get it later that day after they were closed (someone else had picked up the keys for me as I was at work).

I paid £594.04 and this was on the invoice:

Unable to select gears- to remove gearbox and confirm clutch plate damaged.
Supply and fit new clutch and bearing as required.
Replace both lower ball joint covers.
Third gear syncro weak
Cons
Consumables
Clutch Kit
Bush
Boot, Lower Ball Dus x2

When I picked it up 3rd gear was still crunching every time and I was disappointed with Honda for giving it back to me in this state. So now Honda have picked up my car today as it needs to be fixed and I asked why they didn't fix it before as they did test drive it afterwards. They said it's because they thought it was a known problem and didn't want to initially book my car in for a 9 hour labour cost to take apart the gearbox?

So now my car is in Honda garage and I am waiting for it to be fixed and then pay £500 in total for a new 3rd gear syncro including labour (labour is £180 + VAT).

What do you guys think about this? Am I being ripped off?

Back