• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Can't stop caliper piston boot from turning when replacing pads

Hello all.
changed rear disks today, however was unable to change pads as no matter what I tried, I could not get the passenger side piston to wind back without the boot turning. Tried fully cleaning with brake cleaner, sprayed with wd40 but the boot appears to be stuck solid to the piston.
I was expecting to find the pistons sticky as they are the originals but they are totally free.
was just wondering if anybody has any tricks on how to get around this without having to remove and strip the caliper down.

I realise this is a long shot but any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Are you using the right piston winding tool? Try taking the brake fluid reservoir cap off if you haven't already done so and then try to push it back in.

Another thing you could try is to undo the other side (take the pads out) and push the stuck piston back in and then do the other side up again.

If it is completely seized, what I do is take the brake line off the caliper. Take the caliper off completely and stick it in a bucket of diesel overnight. Hopefully by the next day it is sorted and can be put back on the car with the piston pushed back and the new pads in. I understand you might not want to go to all that headache but I can't think of any other easier solutions apart from replacing the thing altogether.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply ctr-.
The strange thing is that the piston isn't siezed, in fact it's turning freely. The problem is that the boot's twisting as I wind it back and no matter what I try, I can't seem to stop it. I managed to turn it through 90 degrees in order to get the old pads in but it's not ideal as the boot is all twisted now, I don't dare turn it any further.
I think I'm going to have to remove the caliper just to free the dust boot.
I may just buy a replacement though for ease.

Just been reading further on this and may try to get some silicon grease between piston and boot. May need to extract piston further out to do so.

Bit extreme taking the caliper off just to release a rubber boot.
Run a small flat bladed screwdriver round the edge and then a little drop of wd40 on the rubber boot, wiping any that drips to avoid it making contact with any braking contact points and Bob's your uncle, it's just cr*p that's sticking it.

Cheers jamieboy, I tried that yesterday but to no avail however I think i just need to persevere and get some grease under the lip of the boot.

Back