• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car Care Accessories / Equipment

Hi everyone,

Sort of new to the detailing of a car and trying to learn as much as I can before I take ownership of my FK2 Type R at the start of septmber.
I have done a lot of research on car care products and processes and am reasonably happy.

I am curious as to how much care I need to take in buying accessories / equipment and what you would all recommend.

For example:

What mitt would you use to wash your car?
What towel would you use to dry your car?
What towels would you use to buff a car (polish, wax, etc)?
Any different equipment required for cleaning the glass or exterior plastic areas?
What brushes and other equipment would you use for the wheels?
What equipment would you use to clean the interior?

Is it worth spending the extra money on these things? or are there cheaper products that do the same job.

Thanks for your help,
Jamie

What mitt would you use to wash your car? I use the DODO Juice Wookie Mitt. It's really thick and plush so great for removing dirt without scratching! Using Meguiars Hyperwash gives great suds and finish.

What towel would you use to dry your car? Any large microfibre of 1m+ just fold it and wipe! I usually spray with Meguiars last touch to give a little protection and shine!

What towels would you use to buff a car (polish, wax, etc)? Smaller microfibres or buffing cloths are good and a foam applicator to polish/wax.

Any different equipment required for cleaning the glass or exterior plastic areas? Plastic and trim use Aerospace 303 Protector and Glass anything such as fast glass or general glass cleaner does the trick for me.

What brushes and other equipment would you use for the wheels? I have a E-Z Detail wheel brush and a mitt. I believe Vikan make some good brushes too. I use Bilberry wheel cleaner mixed 1:1 with water. Spray and leave for a couple mins, agitate then power wash off. Dress tyres with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel.

What equipment would you use to clean the interior? Interior is a bit more tricky, I believe they have alcantara seats but not sure? Woolite seems to be the popular choice although I have just ordered some Autobrite Alcantara spray and a Vikan interior brush to try. I will let you know how it goes.

I personally feel its a well worthwhile experience. I'd put £100 or so into some stuff to get you started and take it from there. If you're not sure what exactly you need then I'd be happy to put together a small list for you. You will do a better job than any dealership or car wash. It's your own pride and enjoy and I'm sure you wont mind spending time on it, whereas others wont!

Any other questions fire away, happy to try help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty comprehensive list, and roughly what I have expected to hear.
I like yourself do enjoy cleaning a car and would love to seriously get into detailing.

I know there are many products on the market but I am at the moment looking at an all out Autoglym Kit unless you can advise against this.
General reviews seem to be very good and you get a handy carry case with it. Just seemed like a great kit to get going.
I was going to get this complete kit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collection-...8&qid=1439840139&sr=8-1&keywords=autoglym+kit plus the Aqua Wax, Clay Bar Kit and a few other bits.

Can you offer an opinion on the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Q6100-...TF8&qid=1439840260&sr=8-7&keywords=microfibre
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Q6750-...1439840289&sr=8-2&keywords=microfibre+buffing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Q2429-...id=1439840329&sr=8-1&keywords=microfibre+mitt

I know they are all Kent items, but they seem to be reviewed pretty well. The towels look fine, just not sure about the mitt.
Its knowing how much to spend on equipment when there are cheaper alternatives but I don't want to compromise the quality.
If there is certain things you could advise in detail in a list, more on the equipment side rather than the actual products you apply that would be great.

Thanks,

Ok, I sadly don't have much time on my hands tonight but I will put together a list of products to get your started tomorrow if it helps?

I wouldn't buy the Autoglym kit personally, I think it is a lot of money for some of the stuff you are unlikely to use. The only Autoglym product I now use is the Super Resin Polish which seems to do a fairly good job. This is good by hand and easy on/off.

As for the Kent products you have listed, the wash mitt looks pretty poor. I am not a big fan of the 'noodles' and don't feel like they do your paint much good. You want something nice and plus. The Wookie Mitt or a similar lambswool mitt would be the better option. It's important to remember that not only does it remove dirt, it needs to absorb it somewhat in order to reduce it scratching further paintwork. The microfibres are ok, however I am sure you could find the same if not bigger quantities for the same price on ebay. You will need at least 1 microfibre for polish buffing and 1 for wax, preferably 2.

I honestly think you are better putting together a various number of different products rather than buy a complete kit. This way you will get good quality items and save money on the junk you don't need!

I'll try post a more detailed list tomorrow.

Back