• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car Died on me! HELP SMOKE!

I was driving and then starting hearing a very strange sound like a loud squeaking squeeling sound which quickly turned to a grinding sound. I quickly saw that there was smoke coming from under the hood and turn the car off. I popped the hood to see what was wrong and saw that there was smoke coming from the left hand side where the belt is attached to the alternator side of the engine. Police quickly came behind me and forced me to start the car and move it to the side. I did and the car struggled but it eventually started up. I took it to the side of the road and the police left. I then decided that it was ok to drive back home as I only lived a further 2 minutes away. I drove at 10-15 mph with my hazards on but the sound was now coming and going. The smoke had stopped and eventually ended up at home. I stopped the car and popped the bonnet and tried to smell and there was a distinct smell of burning. I tried to start the car again and it turned over a little before failing to start. The subsequent attempts to start the car led to clicking. Eventually the clicking stopped. I got my friend to try to jump start with the leads and the clicking came back when I tried to turn the ignition over. I have now left it parked outside and need help. I do not know what the problem is!

Alternator burned out perhaps? I'm not a good mechanic so don't take my word for gospel! :lol:

Have you checked your oil? Possibly not related at all, but you never know.

sounds like a pulley or somthing on fanbelt drive has failed,& the battery has gone flat

The messed up part is I was coming back from Honda who FULLY DIAGNOSED my car! The oil was perfect. There is a crazy smell under the bonnet that smells funny near that area where the alternator is. But surely if the alternator is gone it will still crank over?

The messed up part is I was coming back from Honda who FULLY DIAGNOSED my car! The oil was perfect. There is a crazy smell under the bonnet that smells funny near that area where the alternator is. But surely if the alternator is gone it will still crank over?

alternator can drain the battery real fast if it is sorting out ?

alternator can drain the battery real fast if it is sorting out ?

It's the truth, I had an alternator fail on me (not my type r) and my the car managed to over heat, boil the rad and kill the battery with in about 3 min.

VTECfail-2.gif

was your alternator seized? I something in that area has seized up because there is a wierd smell. I cannot describe it. Like plastic, rubber, metal all combined. Its the strangest burning smell.

I found that the Idler Pulley bearing had seized, but this took the bracket with it so I have a damaged bracket. I managed to source a pulley of a mate but still need a bracket, the flange and a replacement bolt. Do any of you guys have one lying around somewhere? I want to get this fitted and need my car back and Honda require a pre-order and will take a while to supply. Thanks in advanced.

Back