• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

car noise!

Recently bought my 02 civic type-r... the exhaust is not in great condition and it soon had a leak.. i sorted that, but now i keep experiencing a noise when i accelerating from 1500to4000, it sounds like a leak again..... but i cannot see any damage to exhaust now.. the noise sounds as if it is near front of the car.. any ideas would be welcomed?? strange noise.. also sounds like a belt going round or sumit like that.

cheers Darren

Recently bought my 02 civic type-r... the exhaust is not in great condition and it soon had a leak.. i sorted that, but now i keep experiencing a noise when i accelerating from 1500to4000, it sounds like a leak again..... but i cannot see any damage to exhaust now.. the noise sounds as if it is near front of the car.. any ideas would be welcomed?? strange noise.. also sounds like a belt going round or sumit like that.

cheers Darren

I'd say take it to KwikFit but ONLY for an inspection. It'll be free and they can have a look but whatever you do don't go with them if they suggest "x,y,z" needs doing. If they suggest then say you'll have to check how much money you got and pretend you'll come back.

Play dumb and say "can you have a quick look for me" and they'll put it on a ramp. Just takes a few mins of your time.

yeh nearest kwikfit 100miles away fom me, my father was mechanic and has had a look but cant find anything so far really. it is gett stranger *** in the wet in doesnt make the noise?!?!? annoying seeing i only just bought car n has only 59000 on it.

I just realised.... when I had my Prelude (up to last Sat gone) about 2yrs ago I had the center pipe/box replaced with a Timax one (3rd party make to the Honda make) then the rear from another 3rd party manufacturer...

Since then at similar rev range I could hear like a whistle sound as if the car had a turbo spooling up. Came from directly underneath where the driver/passenger sits and louder when it echos off a building or tunnel but not too loud. Sounded really cool hence me leaving it that way but there was no sound as if the exhaust was leaking. The garage couldn't find any leaks anyway. I can only imagine it was something like the gasket between the 2 sections maybe slightly offset causing the noise in the exhaust flow...

Maybe you have something like that?

yeh there is a real echo off it when going up narrow streets, it might well be sumit like that, mine doesnt sound so cool ***, i am planning a full stainless exhaust for it soon so hopefully then i will sort the problem.

if not ill be lost for ideas again.

Hi mate, I think it could be the inlet manifold cover. There are not the best design for the EP3, if you open your bonnet and press the throttle. You will see the cover is actually vibrating. Well, all the ep3 owners will probably have the same issue. That's the design of the car. Not much you can do.

Hi mate, I think it could be the inlet manifold cover. There are not the best design for the EP3, if you open your bonnet and press the throttle. You will see the cover is actually vibrating. Well, all the ep3 owners will probably have the same issue. That's the design of the car. Not much you can do.

If there is an issue with the inlet manifold vibrating it is easily rectified with a couple of washers between the cover and fixing bracket, solved the noise on my EP3 anywho

Back