• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car now sounds like it's supercharged!!! Not in a good way

Car was fine yesterday, started it today and it now sounds like it's supercharged! It sounds almost like an electric whine. It's definitely not the gear box as it makes the noise when out of gear and stationary when revved. Seems to only be whilst under load. Still have power and vtec performance hasn't been effected so suspecting one of the aux pulleys or alternator maybe (battery power is fine though).
Anyone had this issue or have any ideas?
https://vimeo.com/144987469

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I've confirmed my suspicions and it's definitely a pulley. So my question now: is there a way to narrow down which pulley it is? Seems most take a guess top idler pulley/water pump but it's a guess. Are either prone to failure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I've confirmed my suspicions and it's definitely a pulley. So my question now: is there a way to narrow down which pulley it is? Seems most take a guess top pulley/water pump but it's a guess. Are either prone to failure?

I have similar problem its from aux area at 2-3krpm when cars cold its the tensioner pulley that's what one garage has told me I just haven't had the chance taking it any where. I will be replacing the top pulley with it when I do the other one let me know how you get on cheers haz.

I sprayed the bearings with wd40 and the noise has died down slightly. Ive decided to wait until it gets a bit worse so I can identify exactly which pulley it is, due to the electric whine sound I'm betting on the alternator but time shall tell.
Equally please let me know if you suss yours out as knowledge is power

I sprayed the bearings with wd40 and the noise has died down slightly. Ive decided to wait until it gets a bit worse so I can identify exactly which pulley it is, due to the electric whine sound I'm betting on the alternator but time shall tell.
Equally please let me know if you suss yours out as knowledge is power

Well my noise goes quite after 15-20 mins probably one of the pulleys. I think your noise seems like the top idler pulley, Hepworth Honda in Huddersfield do the top pulley for 38 pounds posted I use them for my parts. The aux area has got few pulleys along side the tensioner pulley belt needs to come off and needs inspecting. I will let you know mate once I get it checked. If you don't mind upload the video on youtube so I can hear it cheers.

https://vimeo.com/145489110
It's not the best video of the sound but you can here the whine in it. Problem is once you get the bonnet up the engine seems to drown it out. Much more noticeable from the cab.

Mine did that once too. It was the waterpump pulley. £40 from Honda + a new belt.

Take it to any garage worth their salt and ask them to 'scope the pulleys to see which one it is. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Back