• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car will not start, suspected immobiliser issue?!

Ted

I've owned my CTR for approx 2 years now and in that time it has never had any issues with starting and certainly nothing to do with an alarm/immobiliser. (Mainly due to the fact that there isn't an alarm fitted). But now the time has come for the immobiliser curse to rear its ugly head.

Flick the keys to position 2 and the dash lights up as it normally does, all lights are bright and nothing seams untoward. Push the key to start and nothing, not even an attempt to crank the engine. As I have not turned the car over for approx 4 weeks thought the battery might be feeling lazy so hooked it up to my friends car in a bid to jump it. No change. Tried bumping it, nothing.:(

My car when I bought it only ever had one key and never had a key fob. It just starts off the key without any crazy immobiliser fob/button. LIke I said previously it's never been an issue.

I've done some research and apparantly the keys can just lose their coding? This seams a little bit random even for me to fully believe but it's not in isolated cases so is the general consensus that I need to take my key to Honda and get a recode?

Also whilst i'm there is it worth taking my spare (K100) ECU with me to get the key coded to work with that also (Future fitting)? Is this even possible? What is the actual process of the key being coded? Do you just need the key or has the car got to be there also? (Hopefully that isn't a retarded question as when I rang Honda earlier they said just bring the key and V5).

All useful information is greatfuly appreciated:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it JDM? Could be to do with the clutch switch thing (no idea what it's called). Had this on my FD2 once.

Not JDM, it was prob the most basic spec Type R in the range from what I can tell.

Do you hear the fuel pump and pump relay when you turn your key? Have you checked your starter?

The starter looked fine and I personally replaced it approx 18 months ago so know that it is in good condition. The fuel pump relay could be heard when the ignition is in pos 2.

Funny you say that as I changed my rocker yesterday....however it wasn't firing up before I took it off. I havent touched it since it last started up fine approx 4 weeks ago which is why it confuses me.

I had another look yesterday as I had a brief time with my car (its in storage) the key light isn't flashing so I guess that rules out the immobiliser being issue?

I suppose it could be the starter motor but I was always of the assumption that starter motors don't just go. They get the usual clicking sound? I didn't have any tools with me to remove my strut brace and get into the fuse box so couldn't see if the relay or fuses had gone for the starter.

If it is the starter then that's cool it's simple enough to sort out just annoying as I replaced it about 18 months ago already!

I had another look yesterday as I had a brief time with my car (its in storage) the key light isn't flashing so I guess that rules out the immobiliser being issue?

I suppose it could be the starter motor but I was always of the assumption that starter motors don't just go. They get the usual clicking sound? I didn't have any tools with me to remove my strut brace and get into the fuse box so couldn't see if the relay or fuses had gone for the starter.

If it is the starter then that's cool it's simple enough to sort out just annoying as I replaced it about 18 months ago already!

The solenoid can get stuck on the starter motor. Give it a couple of taps with a hammer

Unfortunately not, the cars tucked away for Christmas in storage as I'm back home
for Christmas. It'll have to be dealt with in the new year.

The more I think about it though it must be a starter motor/fuse issue. It just hasn't shown any usual starter motor dying issues. The battery is tip top and all the pre start up electrics work fine. Just bloody frustrating I can't get to the bottom of it just yet.

Glad it's not my daily ride!

Well have a nice Christmas mate and keep us posted when you get to the bottom of it. Ive got a issue with my steering rack... I think. Changed the slider and still the same.
Same mines not a daily so ill just forget about it till the new year.

Small update. Turns out the starter was just being a mare! A little bump and she splurted into life it's been starting happily ever since, so looks like I have an iffy starter motor. Not the end of the world as long as I've got a couple of abler bodied people around to give me a shove.

Back to the weight saving my cutting out my doors and electrics :).

Back