• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car wont start

I have had trouble with my 2005 Honda Civic Type R. The EML light came on and I had a cam sensor change and it went out. Later it came on again and I had the other cam sensor changed. The light still remained on. The mechanic in the garage I went to said it could be the tensioner or chain needed changing. It has done 64k so far. Last week there was a rattling noise from the timing chain and was still making a noise driving down the road. The oil light came on and I topped it up as it had recently only had an oil change. It seemed to run smoother then. Then sunday the screeching noise from the timing chain came back. I drove down the road to work on monday and turned a corner then the engine just cut out. It wouldnt start after. I called a recovery vehicle and the driver checked the diagnostics which came up with the code cam sensor failiure yet again. He towed it to the garage I use. I contacted the garage and the mechanic said that the recovery driver had wiped the codes inadvertently and they couldnt find out what was wrong with it. H said the timing change hadn't snapped. They suggested putting a new timing chain and tensioner on to start with and seeing if that would start any activity. He said the valves didnt sound like they were damaged. but he would check and do a vaccum test. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jui-jitsu warrior eh? Belt you on pal?

You're on low milage for tensioner and chain issues really, is it possible you're running after market cams or valve train components? Generally, when the tensioner goes the chain skips a tooth or two putting the timing out and making the engine run like a bag of spanners, if at all. The cam sensor would pick this up, so it is feasable that your chain has skipped a tooth. Likely worst case scenario is a bent valve or two, possibly even a damaged piston crown.

If your oil light came on, that's seriously bad mate. You need to keep on top of that sh1t. Damage could already be done to the bottom end. It's within the honda factory spec for the k20 to drink up to 1l of oil in just 800 miles. Ignore it at your peril.

Back