• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Carbing Rear Upper 4 Point Strut Brace Fitted (pics)

I received my Carbing rear upper 4 point strut brace last week, and got round to fitting it this morning. Its the steel version, finished in white;

P1000165.jpg

P1000168.jpg

It was not quite as straight forward as I hoped. Once strut top nuts were removed, and the OE brace was off, with the various wires and cables in the area tidied out of the way, I offered up the brace. Unfortunately I could only get one side in position, because the other side was being obstructed by my coilover damping adjusters. Luckily these were attached via an allan key grub screw. With the damping adjustment knob off, the brace fitted into position perfectly.

Next problem was I now could not do up one of the nuts on each side. The design of the bracket on the brace, combined with the tight space, meant I was unable to use my socket set or spanner. A look around the space which the nut occupied, and I saw that the bare metal 'triangular' strengthening fillets behind the rear seats in the corner were bolted in place, and could be removed. I then managed to remove these with all the plastic trim still in place (few scrapes!) and I now had the clearance and space to use my socket to do the nuts back up.

So it was a case of re-fitting the strengthening fillets, and clipping the various wires back, and the job was done;

P1000172.jpg

Just a shame its now hidden under the boot carpet now - This may change if I decide to go ahead and strip the car soon :lol:

Finally big thanks to Bazza @ http://www.vtecdirect.com/ who supplied the brace very quickly with mo problems 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you put a pic of the standard bar up, The one on my car looks similar size and shape but its polished and only bolts at the ends not the 4 places, does this sound standard or is it after market?

Back