• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Castrol Edge Professional

Afternoon People,

Had quite a interesting meeting today with some bods from Castrol about their new oil ''Castrol Edge Professional'' which is replacing ''Castrol SLX'' and is only available from main dealers, will not be available from halfords etc. i wont try and explain about it too much as will only mix up or get the facts wrong :lol: My head is still spinning from all the jargon/facts they threw at me!

The rep certainly had some good spiel on the product but obviously working for Castrol he's got to! He explained about the various improvments over other oils on the market and showed various test results although how 'fair' they were you can never tell.

1 interesting test was basically running an engine at full throttle until it went bang. the engine running ''Edge Professional'' last 128 hours while the engine running a competitor's brand oil lasted only 93 hours.

I will certainly be looking to use this on my next oil change to see if i can see any improvements over my current oil, mainly to see if it lasts longer.

Here's some info taken from the Castrol site:

Fluid Strength Technology™

Castrol EDGE Professional, with Fluid Strength Technology is the new philosophy and proprietary technology system behind our most advanced engine oils. Containing only our most advanced ingredients and tailored for each application, Fluid Strength Technology™ is a dynamic technology that actively strengthens the oil enabling it to continuously respond and adapt to your engine's every needs in all driving conditions.
logo-fst.png

Improved Engine Efficiency

Up to 40% stronger than a leading competitor*

Castrol EDGE Professional delivers a stronger oil film across all engine speeds and improves engine efficiency. In the pursuit of achieving maximum engine efficiency and reduced emissions, without any loss in maximum power and performance, today's engines work harder, run hotter and operate at higher pressures. Castrol EDGE Professional, with a stronger oil film, minimises metal to metal contact and lowers the friction between engines surfaces.
edge-fluid-strength-test.png

* In a test of the oil's film strength across a variety of engine speeds, Castrol EDGE Professional consistently achieves an unsurpassed level of strength versus a leading competitor.

Greater Engine Performance

Castrol EDGE Professional has been independently tested to the point of destruction, giving you the confidence that your engine will perform when you need it most.
Independently tested under the harshest conditions, Castrol EDGE Professional continually performs and adapts to the extreme demands of an engine. It surpasses a leading competitor and remains stronger for longer by up to 35%.
edge-endurance.png

This is cool too:
Signature Flourescent Colour

As a sign of its Professional quality, Castrol EDGE Professional also comes with a fluorescent signature colouration, when shone under a UV light. This visual demonstration is the signature proof point of Castrol EDGE Professional, exclusive to Car Manufacturer Workshops
edge-glow.jpg

Hopefully this is of some good information to people :smt023

Ady.

This!
edge-glow.jpg

I want This!
Don't care if it's better, I want radio active glowing sh!t!
Imagine the minor oil leak situation, in the dark, black light, it'd be like something out of a Alien flick!

This!
edge-glow.jpg

I want This!
Don't care if it's better, I want radio active glowing sh!t!
Imagine the minor oil leak situation, in the dark, black light, it'd be like something out of a Alien flick!

true, it would be pretty cool. Would rather avoid the oil leak though if im honest!

However, this did not bode well for me...
edge-endurance.png

Castrol Edge 5-30
VS
Leading Competitor 0-40
Surely, that's not playing fair?

im going to wait to see how much it is first before i do my full oil change. I was going to switch to the silkolene pro s but if this stuff is in the same price range i may be swayed

Im not 100% on the retail value yet but supposidly its going to be roughly the same as SLX, maybe a couple of quid more.

I work at a BMW dealer and this is the oil we now keep in stock, retail is £18.71 inc vat per litre, think i'll be giving it ago in my CTR

Last edited by a moderator:
Back