• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Castrol or Fuchs

Which one should i get Castrol edge 5w30 or fuchs titan race pro s 5w30 or are they much the same.

05w-30 Castrol Edge is recommended by Honda ATM (or was last time they tried to palm me off with oil) - I suspect that it's as much an advertising agreement as it is a recommendation. I use FUCH's Titan Race 05w-40. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with any fully-synthetic 05w-30.

Halfords don't make oil.

It's just packaging.

ANY 5w40 fully synthetic oil is fine.

And the difference in price is just markup and advertising or money spent on grade, formulation and development?

Brand value. Marketing BS.

Halfords used to use Texaco a while back. It will be a major brand due to the volumes involved.

Halfords don't make oil.

It's just packaging.

True, but it doesn't mean that you are getting a good oil just because it's made by someone else. All the places that sell their own brand oil go to the oil companies asking for a product to be made to fulfil certain specs, then the lowest bidder gets the deal. That means that the oil is made to a lower budget than the branded oils, using lower quality ingredients. A lot of people think that because the oils made for Halfords, Tescos etc by a company like Castrol/Fuchs/Shell/Mobil that they are getting a relabelled quality product, but it isn't.

Cheers

Tim

As far as I know, Castrol make Halfords oil at the moment.

I myself use Fuchs 5W40 as recommended by Opie Oils.

OPIE OILS FTW, sound advice, quality products and most importantly massive car decals :lol:

I am from the industry and I disagree. The best thing for your engine is not the 'marketing quality'.

The best thing is reducing mileage intervals.

Fully synthetic is fully synthetic. The packaging is irrelevant Gulf for example. Last time I checked Gulf was a brand of GB Oils.

so Oilman is saying that you get the bottom of the barrel s*** when you get the "lesser" brands?

I can believe that. I used to work for McSlave (a long time ago) and at the time there british meat was coming from the same place/s as waitrose, it was not the same quality however. it was the stuff waitrose did not want to buy.

I agree with sikboy to I would think the reducing mileage intervals is also a very good idea though!

I am from the industry and I disagree. The best thing for your engine is not the 'marketing quality'.

The best thing is reducing mileage intervals.

Fully synthetic is fully synthetic. The packaging is irrelevant Gulf for example. Last time I checked Gulf was a brand of GB Oils.

All fully synthetic oils are not the same, if you are 'from the industry' you should know that. This explains the different types of basestock, group III, IV and V are all sold as fully synthetic

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Basestock-categories-and-Descriptions.pdf

Cheaper oils are group III and while they are often fine, they aren't as good as a proper synthetic as they are something that has to be modified to fit a purpose, rather than being designed for that application from the start. Cheaper oils also have reduced additive packages and less quality testing, so you might not be getting what they say they are on the can. We were speaking to one of our suppliers yesterday who has done a lot of testing on other companies oils and found that a lot of cheap 5w-40s are actually 20w-40s as the quality testing has not been followed during procedures.

Gulf are a bit of an odd one. While their Competition oils are not made by themselves, they are made by another top performance oil manufacturer, one that is fussy about oil quality and we had it tested before we took it on. It's in no way a budget oil relabelled.

But isn't oilman saying that you will get different oil depending on the packaging, e.g. Halfords will be given a lower grade of oil to stick their labels on because they were the lowest bidder? Even if it's made by the same company, it doesn't mean that all oils made by that company are of equal quality.

That's what I thought he meant.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Even within a companies own oils they will tend to have a range of mineral oils, a range of semi synthetics, some group III oils, some group IV and perhaps a group V as well. When they start making them for another company, the synthetics tend to be group III and then with reduced quality additives.

Cheers

Tim

Back