• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Castrol or Fuchs

All of which are fine for modern engines. As long as the spec is right. I seriously doubt halfords are selling 20w40 badged as 5w40.

While a 5w-40 might be suitable, some are better than others. Just like a Perodua is suitable for getting from A to B, but a Type R is better at doing it. On paper they are both the same thing (a car, three doors, 4 wheels), but there is a reason one costs more than the other.

Why wouldn't Halfords own brand oil be like other basic own brand oils? I'm not saying it definately is a 20w-40, it could be a 15w-40, 10w-40 or if correct, a 5w-40, but no matter what, the quality is lower than a top spec oil.

Cheers

Tim

Just to add that just because on the bottle it says meets merc/vw/bmw spec doesn't necessarily mean that it's super duper it just means it passes the minimum requirements and that the company have 'paid' to be allowed to meet that spec.

I would argue that anything over the minimum spec is pointless in the first place and that by reducing your intervals over paying for more expensive oil in the long run is better for your engine. That and some of the 'better' brands prices are way over inflated.

You're absolutely right, basic oils will only meet rather than exceed the spec, although that's kind of optimistic. Unless there is good quality testing during production, the standard slips as production goes on, so what may start off as barely meeting the spec ends up well below it after a few batches.

If you want to make sure the car is getting good protection, go for an oil from a reputable manufacturer as it will be better than the minimum spec and should have been produced with good quality control. You use Shell don't you Sikboy? Their oils are good and definately better than the minimum.

Good oils that far exceed the minimum requirements will give better protection when changed annually/10k, than a basic oil changed every few days. I don't recommend long life servicing for anything as it's been shown to lead to problems in a lot of cars. If you use a good oil and change it annually, it will work out cheaper than buying rubbish and changing it on a regular basis. Everyone here uses good ester based oils and changes them annually.

Some oils are overpriced and I struggle to recommend them over other brands which represent much better value for money, while offering as good or better protection. The problem is that those oils have got a name for themselves and some people will only use them and no others, no matter how much better another oil is for their application. That is a proper case of marketing overuling sense.

Cheers

Tim

I only use Shell because it represents excellent value for me. I have in the past used millers / fuchs I probably wouldn't again.

Of course I am not advocating going out buying non branded oils! I am just saying that the likes of Tesco (other supermarkets available) and halfords will be fine as fully synthetic products dispite what you say they won't sell 'poor' blended oils as they have their reputation too.

Most people won't know what's in their car or in fact actually care. We are the minority that understand engines etc. Not even all 'main' dealers have to use a particular brand and that is why you will find conflicting advice.

Edit.

I change my oil in October pre winter. Then a second change the following March. Winter protection for cold starts and fresh oil in March for spirited drives. Of course any track days will mean an interim change.

Back