• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Cd error!!

CD player started playing up the other day, I put a cd in and the screen read disc read, it then said disc error, at first I thought it might of been because it was quite hot with the climate control being on warm but then yesterday it happened again, sounds like the laser is trying to scan the disc for a few seconds, the disc started playing but sounded like it was scratched, kept skipping then today it couldn't read any discs :evil::(
wonering if anyone else has had this problem?
also is it possible to fit aux input to a pre facelift head unit so I could use iPod and Spotify on my phone?

You want a Connects2 or DICE box for the six input, but in all likelihood the laser is on its way out.

You'd be better off buying a fascia and adaptor loom and fitting the double din of your choice.

Thanks for the reply Loxy. Is this a common fault? If so it's pretty poor from Honda. Beginning to wish I'd kept my EP3 in a way! I'd spent a bit of money on her and it was pretty faultless.
How much am I looking at for a fascia conversion and new head unit? Also will the steering wheel controls still work?
i will try a cd lens cleaner before I look any further I think.

8 years old and 72k? If your home CD system lasted 8 years you would be happy.

It is getting more common as the cars get older yes. You could try a lens cleaner disc but I don't fancy your chances. It might give you a few more months.

RE: poor show by Honda, you should have tried the Sat Nav head unit that came as the option in the EP3 or in higher spec CR-Vs. You were lucky if that saw out the warranty period.

In the grand scheme of things, the FN2 is holding out pretty well.

Fair point Loxy, although I do have a CD player as part of a seperate stacker system and amp that is still going strong and that was from the mid 90's!!
in all I agree the FN 2 is holing out well I just didn't expect the CD player to do this and with it being a big part of the dashboard it looks a bit awkward to swap.
as for a double din stereo I think they look a bit out of place in the FN2? Maybe that's just me, I like standard and I'm not big into modifying. As for the question before if I was to go down this route what sort of price for a conversion kit?
Presumably head units vary in price and that's down to personal preference and also the steering wheel controls,will they work with non standard unit?

Search for Impulse Car Audio Civic RHD. Kits vary from £99 to £180. A head unit is however much you want to spend!

Ok, top man I'll have a browse.
Although been to work today, tried a cd and it seems fine. Temperamental I guess

The lens cleaner is a good first ploy.

I've also heard of the winter effect on CD's. If you take a warm CD from the house out into our recent high humidity cold mornings they can get a misting effect over them which makes them difficult to read.

Once the unit has warmed up and the mist evaporated, all OK.

Burnt CDR's suffer far worse than CD's for this.

Back