• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Changing gear at high revs / vtec (clutch replacement advice)

Exa

Hello all,

I noticed over weekend that when changing gear at high revs/vtec was difficult, significantly more so than when driving normally. Looking on here I see it's a warning/early sign of clutch wear and I need a replacement. It's on 120k and it doesn't look to have been replaced on any of the paperwork I've got, so I think it's done well!

I'd like to uprate the clutch if I'm replacing it, most likely with the CC Stage 2 from TDi

Is there anything else I should look at getting replaced at the same time, to save work in future??

If you're replacing the clutch then you're dropping the box. You could do:
driveshaft seals
gearbox bearings (input/output shaft etc.)
LSD
flywheel
final drive
new synchros
gearbox-side engine mount
new hydraulic fluid
magnetic drain bolt

Depends how much time/money you want to throw at this.

Thanks for the reply Mike - LSD is something I would like but further down the line, (just not a realistic cost at the moment) I'm not a mechanic so this will be done by a garage so it's more a case of knowing what else to request when it goes in

Seals, bearings, fluids all sound like what I'm after doing, gear synchros would be good to do as well

The car will be on the road, no intention of track at this moment, just getting the car back in top condition

Back