• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Changing my alternator belt

Hey guys,

thanks to the horendous conversion my TF is the subframe gouged my belt so it needs replacing before i fire the car up again, is it difficult to replace?

and, where is best to buy the belt from? a honda dealership or is there somewhere cheaper thats just as good?

thanks guys.... oh its a K20a engine

pretty easy job as far as the engine goes the pulley top of the engine is spring loaded to keep it tight so just prying on it with a socket will give slack to slide it off.

as far as the belt it self goes, cant imagine there being much in the way of cost savings going elsewhere so i'd stick with the safe bet of going to a dealer.

only problems i can think is maybe the mgtf is a harder bay to work in?

Thanks for the info bud, I assumed it would be fairly straight forward but as all I've done is rover k and t series engines i wanted to check :)

I assume the timing can't be buffered up as it's just an alternator belt? The idea of a timing "chain" still sounds a bit martian to me lol

The engine is out the car sat on it's wheels (see my project thread) but from the CTRs I've seen there is actually more room in a TF bay than a civic one, the K20a is by the looks of it smaller than the rover k it's just the gearbox that's a hearty bugger

I'll order myself a Honda dealer belt :D

never had to change the belt in a ctr, like you i did it with the engine out of car mind you its now in an elise with the shell off would be easy bloody tight if the shell's on though

as you say timing isnt harmed as its done by chain so no worries ;)

Back