• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Changing the brake discs

NickCTR

Moron
I`ve seen the how-to on changing the pads (cheers Jermal :)) which i`ll be doing sometime this week, along with the discs

What additional tools are required?
Will I need a breaker bar and a big eff off socket to remove that huge bolt in the centre?

My mechanic m8 John AKA `the bitch` can do this but would like a go myself in case he can`t get time off

Cheers

you dont need to remove the nut, there are 2 countersunk philips screws holding the disc on, you will need an impact driver to get these out

The guy who changed my brakes over took a small nick out of the screws at one edge with a chisel then they just screwed off easy :eek:

The big nut in the midle secures the drive shafts so you might want to leave that alone.

It's four bolts and 2 screws to remove everything caliper and disc wise for doing the brakes.

You'll need copper grease and brake cleaner if you're putting fresh pads and discs on as well as the normal tools. A piston rewind tool is also handy.

The guy who changed my brakes over took a small nick out of the screws at one edge with a chisel then they just screwed off easy :eek:

The screws are a pain in the arse really, I had to drill them out on G's car as they weren't going anywhere, even with copious abuse with an impact driver. They can also be left off as the wheel will hold the disc true once it's on;)

Thanks alot fellas

I have a G-clamp and various screwdrivers

Will that do :lol:

A G-Clamp will allow you to push the piston back using one of the old pads against the piston. The screws are phillips head type but you'll be very lucky if you can get them out with just a screwdriver.

And you'll need a socket set, 19mm IIRC is the biggest you'll need for some of the nuts on the back to get the carrier off.

Again if you're really not sure what you're doing, brakes aren't something to experiment with.

I`ve got a socket set. Think i`ve got a 19mm. I`ll check that before I start, otherwise i`ll be heading to Halfrauds halfway through the job :eek:

Cheers

The screws are a pain in the arse really, I had to drill them out on G's car as they weren't going anywhere, even with copious abuse with an impact driver. They can also be left off as the wheel will hold the disc true once it's on;)

Aye he said that but they were fitted back on anyway.

Why do honda put them on in the first place :confused:

If the wheel studs became a bit loose and the wheel started to come away from the hub, the brake disc would stay put

If the wheel studs became a bit loose and the wheel started to come away from the hub, the brake disc would stay put

No, if you're wheel's coming loose then you've got some major worries other than if your disc will rattle around:lol:

It'll be more likely to do with keeping the disc true/square when refitting the carrier/caliper/pads as it does make the job easier.

Also, when pushing the piston back, make sure you unscrew your brake fluid reservoir cap to allow it to move back easily, and to refit it before you drive the car!

Back