• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Changing the Cam Cover

Couldn't find anything on this, suprisingly - probably becuase it's dead easy :lol::oops: or not done that often (which is what I'm telling myself :lol:)

Just wanted to ask, whether anyone has any pointers.. A quick butchers suggest it's a case of removing the 10mm bolts and sorting out the plug connectors/coil-packs (disconnecting, and moving out of the way).

Easy enough, right? Or, wrong - I'm missing something?

The other queries I had were in regard to the gasket - is it imperative that I replace this? Or can the existing one be used with some liquid gasket? And before I remove the head, is it simply a case of removing and swapping, or would I need to leave it to rest (for some time; if so how long?) so that the oil settles down off of the inside of the head cover? Does any, one, particular aspect of the swap require more attention/care for any reason etc. etc. just anything helpful really.

Any help - or a quick bullet-pointed 'how to' would be greatly appreciated, if someones got the time/know how.

I'd rather not spend ££££ on this job as I have the basic tools (I think) to do this.. and I take pride in doing what I can, myself. I think I've got the basic idea - but would prefer to be sure..

Thanking you in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
it is pretty simple and self explanetry once you start, of course its better to do it on a cool engine saves any burns lol

the gasket thats on there can be reused fine although it is recommended you replace it, i haven't and had no probs

also to get extra clerance you'll have to unbolt the brake reservoir just so it can be moved out of the way

i know ive not got my 50 posts yet and im not fishing for them either but ive just bought a polished chrome rocker cover, my old red one is quite worn ie paint coming off etc, how much would it be worth without looking like a rip off merchant but earning a few quid back from the one ive bought??
thanks in advance

Speak to Dotty, I know he was after one, even though you might not be able to start an actual for sale thread.

I am collecting one tomorrow :smt023

Going rate is a max of £50 if in good condition.

ye it not in the best condition! but only the paint coming off really? so if you plan on refurb/respraying it perfect!! ha!
well leezer once i get my new one (trusting the guy im buying off plays ball) ill pm you and go from there, weigh it etc and get a general quote, was just seeing if i could get rid of it, now i know i can
cheers everyone

Back