• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cheaper alternative to Fuchs Titan Pro S 5w/40 fully synth to save some cash?

Basically, oil changes every 6k is what my car has had, I've only had it four months but it's relatively low milage and I want to keep it up.

It's been done using Fuchs Titan Pro S 5w/40 fully synth and looking around I'm talking 60 quid a time for 5L and a 1L top up... It's quite pricey by the time I've paid my mechanic another 20 quid to do it as I'm probs doing about 14k a year at the min so all these little things mount up.

I am most certainly not a hardcore lunatic vtec'ing all over the place... is there a suitable oil which is pretty much just as good but a bit less cash?

As I say I want to stick with 6k changes but want the best for my car, if Fuchs IS the best and is recommended then I will stomach the cost and keep using it :)

Thanks!

Shell Helix sounds ok and will cost about £37 for 6L so not bad... thanks guys I will have a shop around, just dont wanna stick anything in which is crap.

Whilst I'm here, can anyone tell me what amount of oil would be between min and max on the Type R? I've looked in the manual just and it doesn't say, but says 1L for diesels. Surely for the Type R it would work out about 500ml, just trying to work it out compared to how often I've topped it up with and by how much? lol thanks for the help :)

I use the Pro S version of that oil, definitely not as cheap as that! :oops:

Does look cheap, but is it any good, same as above my car has been ran on Pro S stuff for years now...

I aint as loaded as the dude I bought it off though!

Having had a crap VW before it needed certain standards adhered to on the side of the bottles, forgot whatever I learnt now, is there anything special I need to look out for on my travels for Type R oil? I will have a goose around the odd supermarket incase there are some good looking deals about but dont wanna buy some on a whim if it doesn't meet certain guidelines :)

5w40 fully synth and your fine.

Edit. I use shell helix and with the rocker cover off its very clean but I get 20litres at cost.

I will stick to 5w/40 definitely, it all looks much of a muchness but I'm sure there are some differences somewhere. I guess with me not driving it all that hard and sticking to 6k changes it should stay pretty healthy regardless though, the Pro S stuff is still very clean and truth be told its been in there 7k, well looked after engine it seems. Does need the valve clearances checked next though.... oil doesn't have to be dropped for that does it? :D

Thanks for the advice people :)

If you're only doing 12-14k miles per annum, you will be OK with only changing the oil once in that time frame.

If you're not doing hardcore driving, it will be fine.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to change the oil as regular as some people deem it necessary to.

Modern fully synthetic oils are designed to stand up to required intervals.

That might save you some money.

As with tyres or brakes, never scrimp on oil for the sake of a few quid mate.

Mine is changed once a year when it's due its service (H22 engine). I put in fully synth 5W40, normally Castrol Magnatex stuff. Most 5W40 fully synth is fine for road use, as Andy has posted before, Halfords branded stuff is just rebadged Castrol (I think he said Castrol).

If you are a frequent track user then it may be worth spending a little more on the more expensive stuff and changing it more frequently.

I used to change my oil every 3k miles, BUT.... I had a supercharger, and drove it like it was stolen!!

Highly modified is another story. :lol:

A good indicator is how black the oil becomes. If when checking it it's pitch black, start thinking about changing it. :lol:

Mine's like that now after just over 5k. :rolleyes:

Getting it done at the end of the month so it's ready for Germany.

I am amazed at the amount of people paying to get their oil changed, easiest job on the p1ssing planet. Brake pads too.

Back