• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Checking Engine Coolant & Filling etc....

Right - Although I regularly check and keep an eye on engine oil levels, I am guilty of never having checked the coolant level. Looking in my owners manual, I have read the 'How to check', and 'How to top up' (and with what).

My level in the 'Engine Coolant Reservoir' is about 2cm above the minimum mark. I guess this means it will be ok to top it up closer to the maximum level. The level in the radiator is full to the filler neck under the radiator cap, which is ok, as described in the owners manual.

The manual says to use 'Genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2'. Which is a pre-mixed 50/50 fluid. Is this necessarry?? Does anyone else use an alternative?? Does anyone know the quantity you buy it in and what sort of price??

Also I presume from the manual you fill the coolant level directly through the 'Engine Coolant Reservoir' which is the smaller plastic capped tube, between the washer fluid and radiator. Does the level in the reservoir and radiator need to be topped up independantly, filling one wont push up the level in the other?? Also do you use the same coolant in both cases??

Any help appreciated, cheers. :)

You really should use the correct Honda coolant. :wink: If the radiator is full then just top up the bottle to the max. :wink:

I went down to the dealer and asked to buy some antifreeze and brake fluid to use as top ups when required. They said 'Why buy it, just bring it down and we'll top it up' :shock:

I told them I want to buy some anyway to keep just in case, so they sold me 5 litres of antifreeze and gave me 2 litres of brake fluid 8)

if it's in between the min and max when cool, leave it...it's called an expansion tank for a reason. I doubt, unless you have a leak you'll ever need to top up your coolant levels inbetween services on a newish car

Cheers for the info people. I may just get some official Honda Coolant in case I ever need it.

Cheers for your input findus - Will leave it alone as it is in-between the min & max.

Bazzer said:
I went down to the dealer and asked to buy some antifreeze and brake fluid to use as top ups when required. They said 'Why buy it, just bring it down and we'll top it up' :shock:

I told them I want to buy some anyway to keep just in case, so they sold me 5 litres of antifreeze and gave me 2 litres of brake fluid 8)

In that case I may ask for some when I go for my service next week.

findus said:
if it's in between the min and max when cool, leave it...it's called an expansion tank for a reason. I doubt, unless you have a leak you'll ever need to top up your coolant levels inbetween services on a newish car

I top mine up to max and keep it there. The reason being, more inventory should a minor leak develop. :wink:

Bazzer said:
findus said:

I top mine up to max and keep it there. The reason being, more inventory should a minor leak develop. :wink:

The levels will be different when cold and warm though would they not, when warm the level could well be at max when at cold is only reading halfway?

HASNIC said:
Bazzer said:
findus said:

The levels will be different when cold and warm though would they not, when warm the level could well be at max when at cold is only reading halfway?

Thats correct, mine is actually about 10mm above the max when hot, been like that for 12 months so seems to be ok. 8)

HASNIC said:
Bazzer said:
findus said:

Which is why you check the level on a cold engine mate :wink: I should have made myself a bit clearer. Mine is topped upto the MAX when cold.

Bazzer said:
HASNIC said:
Bazzer said:
findus said:

Which is why you check the level on a cold engine mate :wink: I should have made myself a bit clearer. Mine is topped upto the MAX when cold.

Personally I think that is a little too much, because it expands so much it must nearly be to the brim when Hot.

Mine is mid between Max and Min when cold and goes well above Max when Hot.
Maybe I should go read the manual :oops:

Don't worry Paul, it goes no where near the top. It only expands by about 2 inch at the most. The manual states the level should be between the MIN and MAX when cold. I just interpret that to mean fill to the MAX. :wink:

Back