• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Child seat in the Rear

Hi All

Owned a type r about 2 years ago and sold due to needing the cash. Missed the car every day. Now in a better situation and with a new born i am looking to buy another FN2. Have any of you got a new born? how do you get on with rear facing child seats in the rear? is there enough room and ease of fitting? Can you get the pram in the boot?

Thanks in advance

Regards Andy

Putting the rear facing seat in the back is a pain to be honest.

I get in the back from the passenger side with the seat and sit in the back while I fasten the seat in. I put him at the passenger side and you can still get passed and I'm not a narrow chappy.

Boot is huge. We can fit a full Silvercross chassis and the basket bit in withta bit of shopping too.

Putting the rear facing seat in the back is a pain to be honest.

I get in the back from the passenger side with the seat and sit in the back while I fasten the seat in. I put him at the passenger side and you can still get passed and I'm not a narrow chappy.

Boot is huge. We can fit a full Silvercross chassis and the basket bit in withta bit of shopping too.

Is that with an ISO fix seat?

I was rather hoping an ISO fix would be easy to click in. Emma is due next Feb so we have only just started looking at different systems.

Is that with an ISO fix seat?

I was rather hoping an ISO fix would be easy to click in. Emma is due next Feb so we have only just started looking at different systems.

I've not been able to find any ISO fix rear facing seats i.e. from newborn. They all tend to be 12 months and up.

How does it work with you rear belts?
When I tried mine the other day they do not lock out when fully extracted, which I thought would allow a child seat to slowly loosen.

Where Emma's EP2 the rear belts have a ratchet arrangement, once they have been fully extracted.

The rear facing seat we have, the lap belt part goes over the top of the seat, the buckle then clicks in, and the hip to shoulder part of the seatbelt goes round the back of the seat, much like this.

vs_child-restrain-systems_00.png

This doesn't user the full length of the seatbelt, so will lock if you pull it but the instructions don't say you need to have it locked out. In an accident the seat would activate the locking ratchet locking the seat into position, and with the points the belt is fed through the seat, this would actually tighten the lap part of the belt of there is any movement in the hip/shoulder part pushing the seat more into the bench part of the seat securing it.

It doesn't move or loosen when driven, you just pull the seat belt towards the reel, so everything is tight before you set-off. It is solid and the strap won't move over the anchor points unless you undo the buckle.

Nice post Loxy, very informative.

Emma started looking at Prams and car seats last night. Looks like I need to get a few more hours overtime :(

Thanks for all the replies. Makes my mind up now lol. This thread turned into a tutorial aswell which is always good. Going to view one today. 2009 Red 16k miles one owner. this one doesnt have sat nav but not that bothered. :D

Regards Andy

Firstly hi, shuld really introduce myself etc but I wasn't planning to register yet, just do a bit of research but then saw this thread. Best move I ever made back when I had a 3rd A3 was getting a MaxiCosi seat with an Isofix base. One base in my car, one in the wife's and a seat that just dropped into either of them. Not cheap but very quick and easy to use and I think the new system has forward facing seats as well as rear so it has a longer useful life.

Good luck finding the right car!!!

Mark

Back