• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Choosing which induction kit to go for....

At the minute I've got a Top Fuel induction kit that came with the car, which more than likely suffers from heat soak. So i want to get a another induction that will give me more HP gains.

i was looking on the forum and GruppeM is widely regarded as the best one.

Was thinking to go with that one, but will it even fit to my car? it has a mugen strut brace and an anti-roll bar. on closer inspection i have a feeling that the bar goes right where the air feed would sit. so will it fit? if not which is the next one to go for...

Yeah, IIRC the Mugen brace will hinder fitment of a GM on your DC5.

The J's racing brace will allow enough space for it though no problem, its less of a point to point brace though compared to the Mugen one you have.

GM all the way for me when it comes to intakes, it gives the coolest intake temps of all the kits, its one of the best kits in terms of gains and it also looks the absolute business.

Great looking Teg by the way.

Thanks dude! i had a feeling the brace would get in the way, i dont fancy changing it though.

is the AEM CAI the next best thing?

Thanks dude! i had a feeling the brace would get in the way, i dont fancy changing it though.

Take a look at the ARC mate, that would be my next choice I think.

Dotty has one on his DC5 and rates it very well. Sounds good too.

Take a look at the ARC mate, that would be my next choice I think.

Dotty has one on his DC5 and rates it very well. Sounds good too.

will the ARC suffer from heat soak or anything? having a look around. There doesn't seem to be that much information about it

will the ARC suffer from heat soak or anything? having a look around. There doesn't seem to be that much information about it

In theory I suppose it should, to a degree, but out of all the people I know that own them, they've never mentioned heat soak.

Here is a picture of my engine bay with my Gruppe M fitted and J's front upper strut. Obviously the J's bar raises quite a bit more than the Mugen, but this picture illusttrates how high the Gruppe M (or Tegiwa copy) would sit. Use points of reference around the engine bay to get a sense of height/whether it would fit.

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

Looking at all the pictures now i dont think the height of the mugen will be an issue. But the J's the bar does look as though it sits slightly forward from the shock turret. the cusco looks to sit directly above like the Mugen

AEM CAI is cheap and cheerful, gives good gains and sounds imense. However, it looks terrible - leaves a massive gap in your engine bay. Some people will tell you about hydrolock with the CAI, which I am sure is possible if you try hard enough. I've never had an issue in a year of ownership.

I went for it as it was considered, at the time, to be the 2nd best in terms of performance to the 'M' but for around 1/6th of the price, which is nice.

But the J's the bar does look as though it sits slightly forward from the shock turret. the cusco looks to sit directly above like the Mugen

That's going to be the main problem I think. If anything, it's going to come into contact with the airbox as it comes up to meet the scoop.

Here is a picture of my engine bay with my Gruppe M fitted and J's front upper strut. Obviously the J's bar raises quite a bit more than the Mugen, but this picture illusttrates how high the Gruppe M (or Tegiwa copy) would sit. Use points of reference around the engine bay to get a sense of height/whether it would fit.

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

Very good pictures there, judging from your pictures. i dont think i'll have much of a problem with a GM

I think the Gruppe M is the best design of al the kits you can get. I bought the Tegiwa carbon fibre air box which is the salme as the GM with the same gains but nowere near as much brand new. I know alot of GM owners hate the Tegiwa version as its a copy etc etc. But look how many companies are manufacturing cai's, all taken from AEM's idea. But nobody jumps up and says Injen copy or K&N copy do they? The Tegiwa version is a very good piece of kit imo, and highly rated by TDi North so good enough for me

I think the Gruppe M is the best design of al the kits you can get. I bought the Tegiwa carbon fibre air box which is the salme as the GM with the same gains but nowere near as much brand new. I know alot of GM owners hate the Tegiwa version as its a copy etc etc. But look how many companies are manufacturing cai's, all taken from AEM's idea. But nobody jumps up and says Injen copy or K&N copy do they? The Tegiwa version is a very good piece of kit imo, and highly rated by TDi North so good enough for me

nice one man, its half the price! no bad words have been mentioned about it either, part from its a copy lol. id rather be tight with my money and buy this. good suggestion pal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tegiwa's photo actually show their Gruppe M copy fitted with the exact same Mugen brace as the original poster? :eek:

nice one man, its half the price! no bad words have been mentioned about it either, part from its a copy lol. id rather be tight with my money and buy this. good suggestion pal

No worries mate. As it is a very good piece of kit, and is proven to perform well. I know lots would sooner have the brand name of GM. But brand new they are just too much to pay for an intake imo. You could have a look for a second hand unit, but when i was looking for one the few for sale were in poor condition and one was incomplete. So i opted for the Teg version. Whatever yoo choose, hope you are happy with what you get

I know alot of GM owners hate the Tegiwa version as its a copy etc etc. But look how many companies are manufacturing cai's, all taken from AEM's idea. But nobody jumps up and says Injen copy or K&N copy do they?

Sticking an air filter in the wheel arch to get a better cold air feed has been a concept that's been around a lot longer than AEM's version for the EP3.

I think people turn their noses up at the Tegiwa copy because it's a blatant rip off rather than a variation on a theme.

Sticking an air filter in the wheel arch to get a better cold air feed has been a concept that's been around a lot longer than AEM's version for the EP3.

I think people turn their noses up at the Tegiwa copy because it's a blatant rip off rather than a variation on a theme.

Sorry but i dont agree. Imo there is very little to no variation to AEM's cai or Injen's or K&N's or any other really tbh. I know Tegiwa copied the Gruppe M design, but they didnt patent it so why not? There are lots of different copies of original tuning parts, but the Tegiwa is just as good as the GM but half the price new. So really unless you want to have the Gruppe M name on your kit, i dont see why people as you say, turn their nose up at it. Good ideas always get copied, and in some cases the copy ends up better than the original.

Back