• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic type r EP3 exhaust

Hey guys new to the forum so be gentle:). I'm on my third civic type r and wanting to tweak this one slightly. My plans are an ITG replacement air filter (already done), a cat-back exhaust and in time hondata reflash with remap. In even longer time (depending on funds) lowering springs with fast road set up and jdm anti roll bars and a lsd.

But for now I'm on the cat-back which brings me to my question. I've opted for a custom built exhaust by longlife because
(a) I'm picky about noise, fitting etc
(b) Price wise
(c) centre is local if I have any problems.

But I was going to go for a 2.5inch centre pipe but a quick conversation over the phone to a guy that works in longlife said that I may lose power, I would lose on acceleration and gain on top end he said unless I was remapping. I wouldn't want to lose any power or performance as I won't have a remap for some time.

So would I be better off having a 2.25inch centre pipe as recommended or a 2.5inch centre pipe? I've looked into spoon, piper exhausts etc and they all seem to use a 2.5inch centre pipe. Is there any difference? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest, I saw a block of text and just didn't read it. Paragraph it and people might be more inclined to read it and offer help/advice.

Thanks was a little worried because the guy said it would lose power and acceleration but I would get a better top end. I obviously don't want to lose anything I want slight gains. So 2.5" system is good?

IMO just go with your initial thoughts and get 2.5" as above most the good aftermarket cat backs are 2.5" to 3"

Thanks, that's what I thought if the aftermarket brands are using a 2.5" it must be decent.
What is the difference between 2.25" and 2.5"? except the size of course:D
Would there be any difference in performance between the two?

If you're keeping the cat in then little to none IMO if you plan in the future to get a decat header than go for 2.5"

I'm just tweaking really not after big gains, I've got an ITG replacement filter (standard airbox) going for a catback and in time Hondata reflash with remap. Not going for big gains just slightly tweaking, but obviously I don't want to lose any performance.
May be cheaper to go for the 2.25" then.

Hey guys I've found out some interesting things about an exhaust. Firstly on a n/a 2.0l car anything from 2" to 2.5" is fine.
2.25" is better for the set up that I want as I'm only tweaking
Anything above such as 2.5" will give some back pressure resulting in a loss of power (mainly acceleration) unless your tuning further, such as, manifold, decat or sports cat, induction kit, remap etc or supercharging, turbo etc
So seems I'm sticking with my ITG filter, cat-back and in time Hondata remap I'm going to go for the 2.25" set up. Thanks for the advice though guys, will let you know how the car feels when it's on:)

Just an update on my exhaust, seems like longlife have done a good job. They couldn't fit it as 2.25" because it would be too noisey for what I wanted so the exhaust has a slightly larger bore than standard but it's not 2.25" as I wanted it quiet. The tailpipe is still twin round so looks OEM but their a little bit larger than standard.
Car has a subtle sporty note to it now but only just a little over the standard exhaust note just right in my opinion.
Performance wise not much difference, feels like it's got a bit more power in the mid range.

But.... took the car out today and was hesitant to pull off, as if I'd lost power, gave it some revs and it seems o.k. Seems a little hesitate between 1-2.5k revs, the rev range which you pull off. I was pulling off in 2nd when this happened then changed to 1st still was reluctant to go then gave it some revs and all is o.k. Has anyone else experienced this a day after fitting an exhaust?
and it makes a bumping sound sometimes, as if the exhaust is hitting the bottom of the car but only when it's raining:confused: has anyone else experienced this?

So took it back to longlife to get it checked out, customer service was fab, let me go down straight away without booking. The chap said it shouldn't lose any power and the problem pulling off could be just the exhaust settling in.
The bumping he said he's only ever had one back with the same problem when it's raining and is an easy fix, but I have to leave it for a week to see how it goes. Hopefully it's just due to the exhaust settling in.
Anyone else experienced similar or the same problems???

Another update, The exhaust still vibrates but only in very wet conditions haven't tried the heat wrap yet. The exhaust is settling in well it now sounds sooo sweet in vtec. It gives a noise like a turbo car that kind of whooshing noise if you know what I mean. But when I drive sensible sounds great, quite but with a subtle sporty sound.

most aftermarket exhausts will vibrate when its p!ssing it down, but its nothing to worry about

Yeah, I know when it first happened I bricked it but read the threads and found out it's normal, but it is annoying!

Just an update on my exhaust, seems like longlife have done a good job. They couldn't fit it as 2.25" because it would be too noisey for what I wanted so the exhaust has a slightly larger bore than standard but it's not 2.25" as I wanted it quiet. The tailpipe is still twin round so looks OEM but their a little bit larger than standard.
Car has a subtle sporty note to it now but only just a little over the standard exhaust note just right in my opinion.
Performance wise not much difference, feels like it's got a bit more power in the mid range.

But.... took the car out today and was hesitant to pull off, as if I'd lost power, gave it some revs and it seems o.k. Seems a little hesitate between 1-2.5k revs, the rev range which you pull off. I was pulling off in 2nd when this happened then changed to 1st still was reluctant to go then gave it some revs and all is o.k. Has anyone else experienced this a day after fitting an exhaust?
and it makes a bumping sound sometimes, as if the exhaust is hitting the bottom of the car but only when it's raining:confused: has anyone else experienced this?

So took it back to longlife to get it checked out, customer service was fab, let me go down straight away without booking. The chap said it shouldn't lose any power and the problem pulling off could be just the exhaust settling in.
The bumping he said he's only ever had one back with the same problem when it's raining and is an easy fix, but I have to leave it for a week to see how it goes. Hopefully it's just due to the exhaust settling in.
Anyone else experienced similar or the same problems???
did your exhaust sort itself out as i'm having the same issue with mine with it being hestent

this happened me yesterday, hasnt rained in about 3 weeks and my hks is hitting the underside of the car for some wierd reason! will this go away??

This happens when you upgrade the exhaust Longlife altered something on mine, I think they gave it more clearance, the guy said his theory was because the exhaust expands and retracts when hot, cold etc whatever he did helps it's not as bad now but it is still there, it really annoys me but I've been learning to live with it. As for the hesitation, I changed the O2 sensor and it cured the problem for a bit but it has come back noticed a few days ago. It could be because I didn't use a genuine Honda sensor others apparently don't last as long as genuine.

Back