• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

civic type-r lost power please help!!!

Hi everyone
I've just joined the forum I'm driving a 2004 ctr facelift model I put my car on a rolling road at Japfest last weekend an got a shock when they told me my car was only putting out 171.8bhp at the flywheel which is alot less than I was expecting does anyone know what could be causing my car to have lost so much power? It's really bugging me an I really want more power :( :confused:

Are you SURE that's a flywheel measurement? What were other cars putting out on that particular rolling road? Did any other EP3's get dyno'd? It could just be down to that rolling road being calibrated by a complete spanner. Failing that, when was the last time your car was serviced?

Welcome along by the way ;)

Hi thanks for replying
My ctr was the only 1 they did a run on an older shape integra type-r and that was putting out 211 at the flywheel the guys computer was altering it automatically! he said mine was only 139. Something at the wheels my car was last serviced in January

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling roads are rubbish for measuring stock power, you may as well lick you finger and hold it in the wind. They're only usefull as a tuning tool.

That's true
Honda have told me that if the valves haven't been re adjusted that could make it run bad an drop power! Could that honestly cause such a problem? Mine hasn't been done as far as I can see for 50 thou!

some things that slightly lower hp.

service (i.e dirty air filter, spark plugs, dirty oil), type of fuel, negative effect mods, type of oil, cleanliness of engine internals, valve clearances, wear of engine, hot day, accessories (air con, window heaters etc)

I've got the car going into Honda Tuesday next week to plug it in and see if theses any problems going on an the valves are going to be adjusted view believe that the valves could be be causing such a power loss! The guy that did the rolling road said on car was running slightly rich but moving serious! A few civic type-r owners that were there at Japfest said the exhaust sounded strange somewhat high pitched an not deep an throaty sounding! Cat has been like its blocked but my local garage has checked the cat the exhaust side an said it looks in good condition! Surely the cat should of been removed completely an checked! Can you see if a cat is partially blocked looking from the exhaust end? When its still connected to the manifold?

regarding valve clearance: if the gap between the rocker and the valve is too large you will loose power at top end, the gap distance has a knock on effect to how far the cam can push the valve open, the longer the valve is open the more power is produced.

So your sayin it would only lose power top end if the valve clearances needing doing ?

Hmmm think i will book mine in for a tune and rollers and see what happens :)

Also if your close to staffordshire i will have a go with you side by side :)

Haaa sounds like a plan I'm near taunton in Somerset so maybe we can compare performance! But this is the point where you tell me you have a supercharger or turbo on yours! Is yours stock or modified?

Just a filter bro well i think anyway lolz
My first honda aswell was a ford lover, But i would like to compare mine aswell just to see how well it does. Thinking of doing a tune next week and see what hp i get. I had the timming chain done about 6months ago and its never felt the same :(

There's a place near where I live that does a rolling road so if you wanted to do a compare its £40 plus vat! Yeah I wanna compare mine as well I've got an ITG replacement filter in mine and a full blitz nur spec r exhaust

Hi guys just to let You know I've got my car back from Honda today the valve adjustment seems to have made all the difference seems more responsive an feels more powerful when hitting vtec? The guy at Honda said he had a ctr and said it feels just like his and other ctr's so seems to have solved the problem! Thanks for all your advise :)

Hi guys just to let You know I've got my car back from Honda today the valve adjustment seems to have made all the difference seems more responsive an feels more powerful when hitting vtec? The guy at Honda said he had a ctr and said it feels just like his and other ctr's so seems to have solved the problem! Thanks for all your advise :)

So they were out of tolerance?

Yeah they needed adjusting not sure how much ***
Just got to start saving up for My manifold an sports cat then Hondata and remap next year need more power :)

Back