• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cleaning an aftermarket filter.

Suits

First to flounce
For most of us that run an aftermarket intake system cleaning an aftermarket filter is a must, as unlike an OEM airbox our elements are considerably more expensive.

The option of cleaning our filters is much more appealing than buying a new one. As in this case my S2000 Mugen element is around about £180. Obviously a new one would be better, but this isn't always an option.

Cleaning them every time you get your car serviced is an ideal routine.

In this case I have used a K&N Filter Cleaning Kit as it is the most readily available at Halfords or via an online seller. It's roughly about £13 and can be used many times over.

At this point I will add that this kit can be used on most filters be them cones or panels.

Thekit.jpg

Most of the kits available contain two things, a cleaning agent to remove the dirt, grime and oil and an oil to moisten the filter after cleaning to give it a better performance of filtering out dust from the air.

Contents.jpg

Firstly I removed the protective sheath (not all filters will have these) .

Sheathoff.jpg

I then tapped the filter gentley on the side of the sink carefully trying not to tap the actual filter but the rubber fixing point at the end. This removes any large bits of grime, dirt or nasty bits that get caught by the filter.

Tappeddirt1.jpg

Tappeddirt2.jpg

I then evenly applied the cleaning agent to both sides of the filter, the clean inside and the dirty exposed outside.

Sprayoncleaner.jpg

I then let the agent soak in for about 10 minutes keeping an eye on it not to let the agent dry on the filter, you don't want that to happen.

The agent was doing its job and removing the dirt and grime from the filter.

Runoffdirt.jpg

I then run cold, low pressure through the filter to rinse off the cleaning agent. Making sure that the flow of water went from the clean side through to the dirty side.

Rinse.jpg

This is what came out of the filter :eek: .

Dirtywater.jpg

You can see in this picture the oil that was in the filter floating on top of the water.

Oilywater.jpg

If necessary repeat this stage for very dirty filters.

Once you're happy with the filter being completely rinsed through leave to dry naturally.

Drying.jpg

Once the filter is completely dry then apply the filter oil to the exposed side of the filter. Make sure this is applied evenly and carefully. Once applied check the clean side of the filter to ensure a even spread of coverage, touch up any areas that need it.

Oiled.jpg

Leave the filter to stand for twenty minutes before re fitting to the vehicle.

That's it done :D .

Anyone know if this method can be used on the spoon filter?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Spoon filter casings are less durable than some of the others, but as long as its in reasonable nick you should still be able to clean it using the method above.

Non of the chemicals I used will damage the filter, they're designed specifically for cleaning these filters.

Nice write up nick :)

I use washing up liquid and water to clean the filter and some ATF oil to replenish it.

Nice write up nick :)

I use washing up liquid and water to clean the filter and some ATF oil to replenish it.

Cheers man.

Yeah, I'm sure they do the same stuff as above, just without K&N written on it :lol: .

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Spoon filter casings are less durable than some of the others, but as long as its in reasonable nick you should still be able to clean it using the method above.

Non of the chemicals I used will damage the filter, they're designed specifically for cleaning these filters.

Nice thanks

Suits how long did it take for the filter to dry after you washed it? I cleaned my Pipercross yesterday and its still wet!!!

Suits how long did it take for the filter to dry after you washed it? I cleaned my Pipercross yesterday and its still wet!!!

I just left it overnight and it was fine.

Put it in the airing cupboard.

After washing the filter did you take it in the garden and give it some windmill action? It should shorten the drying time some.

I didn't think you could clean a dryflow filter short of just tapping the dust, dirt and flies out of it. Pretty much disposable.

The wet type are oiled, so can be cleaned as above.

I might be wrong though, so await to be corrected. :lol:

Well you've just agree'd with what I thought anyway. So I guess thats question answered haha!

Back