• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cleaning Idle Control Valve

Ped

Hi, I've been searching and searching. I think mine could do with a clean, im pretty sure I can see where it is next to the throttle body I was just wondering if anyone know of a guide. Or could even take 2 minutes to take a picture pointing at it, And the necessary screws/bolts needed to remove it to spray with carb clearer/other solution. Thanks

Maybe even just circle using paint on a detailed engine bay picture.

Not seen a guide, but found this looking for one myself! :lol:

Here you go, taken from http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-control-valve&p=221169&viewfull=1#post221169

soccerman002 said:
I figured that this would be something worthwhile to add to the boards, considering a few boost guys have complained about eradict idling. The problem is often due to a dirty idle control valve, located on the underside of the throttle body.

It's pretty basic stuff, nothing difficult. Begin by removing the misc. electronic plugs from the throttle body. Remove the two bolts and two nuts, then pop the throttle body off. Turn it over, and you'll see the IAC valve bolted to the underside of the TB. Remove the screws, then remove the electronic portion of the valve. After it's removed, soak the valve with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and work the valve back and forth to clear the build-up. I'd let it dry for at least a day (might be overkill, but oh well, I've got the garage to leave the car in), then reinstall.

I haven't cleaned the valve yet, but will post pics tomorrow night to show a before & after.

Here are the pics:

_Underside of the throttle body, with the IAC valve removed:
iacvalve012cz.jpg

_IAC valve removed. Notice the electronic portion that should be removed prior to spraying:
iacvalve023ub.jpg

_The build-up around the IAC valve:
iacvalve031ae.jpg

_Shot with the electronics removed. The valve has a magnetic end:
iacvalve049jz.jpg

Great find! I've already had mine done by a garage mind. Now looking into replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. So could do with a good guide for actually removing the TB rather than this which skips over it.

I did this on my S2000 last year IIRC, helped settle the ideal down a good deal.

Dirty-1.jpg

Clean-1.jpg

Did you need to replace that rubber gasket or has it got a reusable life span?

Back