• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cleaning Inlet Control Valve K20

I have stripped out my throttle body to clean the icv. I have cleaned a fair bit of it but was wondering if the Denso plug on the icv comes off to really get the inside spotless.

The plug has two screws but has 5 point torx screws in it and i don't have these screwdiver bits. If it does come off easily i will go out and get the correct bit for them as since i have the throttle body off i would like to do it in one go.

I can't remember 100% but I do remember that the biggest thing is to make sure you clean the little spinny magnetic tab thing under the 'thimble' shaped gauze. It needs to spin freely with minimal resistance.

I can't see any spinny magnetic tab thimble shaped gauze. I take it that part is inside the black plastic connector.

Managed to get the Denso plastic part off of the IACV. The part inside the IACV was pretty dirty and dragging quite a bit.

Sorted now. I reset the ECU and took it for a spin to let it program itself with the IACV and throttle body cleaned and the car feels like it revs alot smoother about town and it idles alot better now too.

Happy Days.

No I don't unfortunately.
The way I done was like this.

Remove air filter and intake hose.

There is a nut on the throttle cable that attaches to the throttle body, slacken the nut then slip it off of the mount. There will be enough slack in the cable to unwrap it around from the sprung loaded part on the tb, there is a slit in this part enough for the cable to go trough to get it off.

Remove the plugs that go into the tb, there is one underneath covered in a rubber cover.

Use a pair of plier's to move the clips back on the 3 hoses connected to the tb. 1 top and two bottom. The top one should come off easily, the bottom two I had to use the plier's to grip the hose where it connected to the tb and twist it a little to break a seal around the end. Once the hose turns a bit on the nipples of the tb use the plier's to pinch the bottom hoses then pull off the hoses. The bottom two have to be plugged with a bolt to stop coolant leaking.

Now remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts connecting the tb to the intake manifold. They are easily accessed from the side.

My tb was stuck quite good to the intake manifold so I gave a couple of taps to the bracket that the throttle cable came off with a rubber mallet. Once you break the seal the tb slides out off of the studs connected to the intake manifold. Some coolant will come out of the tb so gloves will be wise to use.

With the tb off there are two philips screws on the iacv that connect to the tb, remove these and put the tb down in a safe place. The black plastic Denso plug on the iacv has 2 5 sided tamperproof torx screws. I used a hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the centre of the screw head then removed them with a flat head screwdriver. The plug will have some resistance coming off as it is magnetic but it shouldn't be too bad to remove.

Now soak the iacv thoroughly in carb cleaner and use cotton earbuds to remove all of the black carbon inside. With the plug removed you can spin the magnetic bit to access and remove all carbon from the part inside that is curved in shape. There should be minimal drag on the inside part.

Leave it to dry then replace everything back together and that should be it.

I did an ECU reset by pulling fuse 6 in the fusebox in the engine bay. Remove the fuse at the start and replace when you are finished. Take the car for an easy normal 10min drive with all electrics off (lights, radio, fans) then stop the car and wait until the fan comes on. Switch the car off and that should be it reset.

Back