• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cleaning post respray

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Both rear quarters of my car were painted 2 weeks ago. Do I need to leave it a certain amount of time before cleaning? And are there any special precautions that I should take? I'm sure I've seen somewhere that new paint should be left alone for a while but not certain.

Both rear quarters of my car were painted 2 weeks ago. Do I need to leave it a certain amount of time before cleaning? And are there any special precautions that I should take? I'm sure I've seen somewhere that new paint should be left alone for a while but not certain.

You can wash it Chris, but don't seal it or wax it just yet. I can remember Andy H (minge) telling me that the solvents in the paint can take up to two months to fully disperse through the paint.

You can wash it Chris, but don't seal it or wax it just yet. I can remember Andy H (minge) telling me that the solvents in the paint can take up to two months to fully disperse through the paint.
Cheers.

Actually Chris, I would leave it for a couple of weeks before you clean it. A few years ago new laws came in for automotive paints to be water-based instead of solvent based. This meant that drying and curing times took a lot longer.

My experience of using both types of paints is that the new water based paints do take longer to fully harden even after heating. A lot of bodyshops tend not to give paint jobs enough heating time in a rush to get parts out so they're usually around 80% cured. Which although you can still lightly polish, is still a bit soft and risky.

I always used to leave paints to dry for a week before I clean it especially when it's not been that warm recently. Better safe than sorry mate.

Back