• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Click/Clunk upon moving

Hi all,

My FN2 has developed what I can only describe as a click / clunk type noise.
When I engage first and pull away, upon load it makes the noise.
I could make it at will last night by reversing then engaging 1st and pulling forward. It would do it forwards and backward although not as loud for the latter.

Now - I know it may sound like the clutch but it hasn't been doing it all the time. It occurs when crawling in traffic in gear (1st or 2nd) and then you press the accelerator and as drive engages it will click - I'm not on the clutch at this point.

I don't think it's suspension or that sort of component related because it doesn't really occur over rough road or normal driving. The noise appears to be coming from the front near side.
The car is 8 1/2 years old with just over 90K on the clock, FHSH.
When I bought the car new, after about 9 months I'm sure it made a similar noise for which I returned the car to the dealer who immediately knew the problem. He took it away and I had it back 5 mins later fixed. Something to do with the chassis flexing I think it was.

It's been absolutely fine until about a month ago when it's developed this noise. I've had both front shocks replaced about 6 months ago as 1 had burst and I'm wondering if when replacing them the dealer disturbed what had been done to the chassis previously.

I'm stumped - and it's difficult for me to get my car jacked up to check at present.

Anyone with any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it more of a click (something higher-pitched and very short) or a clunk (like something heavy moving when it shouldn't)?

If it's a clunk, maybe check the engine mounts are okay?

Is it more of a click (something higher-pitched and very short) or a clunk (like something heavy moving when it shouldn't)?

If it's a clunk, maybe check the engine mounts are okay?

I'd say higher pitched and short yes.
I will have a look at the engine mounts anyway but to me it sounds like a delayed mechanical spring click.
It's a weird one and although I may have to take it to the dealers to diagnose, I wanted to get a good idea so that I can be as sure as I can be in order I'm not charged for something it isn't.
It doesn't affect the driving characteristics of the car in anyway and gear changes are still as smooth and slick as they have always been.

Sounds like subframe click. Something to do with grease being applied to subframe bolts cures it. Had the exact same issue and I just tightened my bolts and it solved it.
If you google FN2 subframe click it's pretty well documented. Hope this helps

These are in the common faults thread, but I'll post them here too.

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

These are in the common faults thread, but I'll post them here too.

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Ahhh cheers fella's!!! I had a feeling it would be the subframe, but when it went in last time not long after buying it new, I didn't ask how they fixed it!
Easy quick job - I like! I'll sort it out over the weekend

Ahhh cheers fella's!!! I had a feeling it would be the subframe, but when it went in last time not long after buying it new, I didn't ask how they fixed it!
Easy quick job - I like! I'll sort it out over the weekend

Had an attempt at getting the outer bolt off each side - and couldn't get enough leverage to undo it!

Removed both front wheels which makes it easy but as I don't have a trolley jack or axle stands I can lay my hands on, I had to make do with the standard Honda jack instead. Of course I put the removed wheel under the car for security.

May have to be a trip to the dealers....

Back