• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clicking tapping when cold

Hi all ive just brought a civic type r ep3 2004 now ive had a lot
of nissans in the past and 90% of them were camchain engines. Ive noticed that on
first start up when the engine is cold there is a sort of tapping clicking noise when
the engine is warm this seems to quiet down a little bit ive had the same thing with my civic the car has
42,000 on the clock witch is low and i think its a good engine ive changed the oil because i was not
sure what oil it had init ive put hondas own 5w30 in is this ok ?.And im getting a nasty cruching noise on first
start up aswell but i think that maybee sticky starter motor so im not to worried about that also ive been
running it on shell vpower fuel is this a good fuel for the ep3 ? im going to change the gearbox oil how many litres does the box hold i think it,s 2 litres.But anyway should i be concerned about this light tapping clicking sound or is it just the norm with chain engines any help would be great.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah shell v power is good fuel for the K20.

The tapping could be the fact that your valve clearances need adjusting. These are usually done every 25k with the service. Mine was the same as you, tapping noises when cold, Stevie at Grinspeed did mine, and now purrs like a kitten at idle.

And the crunching noise is nothing to worry about and we all get it. Just something to put up with.

stupid crunching noise, im determined to sort it one day. Im going to do my valve clearances on the jubilee week off. Should stop the noise :)

Honda recommend 5w30 they told me they
Put it in people's cars when they service them
If I find it uses it i might put something thicker in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back