• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clunking noise on new springs?

Hi! I've fitted a new lowering springs on my EP3.

Turns out the look is ok but when I test drove it, everytime I move my steering wheel it seems there's a clunking noise.

Checked it again, seems the springs are moving causing the noise.

Is there any solutions for this?

Thanks! :D

ive had the same with my apex springs fitted on the weekend, haven't had chance to have a proper look yet though :/

Everytime to steer my wheel, there's a clunk and it's annoying when you are parking your car or doing turns.

I've had this clunking for the last 6 months after fitting lowering springs.

Need to restrip the arms and sort it out but haven't got round to it yet.

I think it's because the springs are located in the wrong orientation in the top cup.

I've had this clunking for the last 6 months after fitting lowering springs.

Need to restrip the arms and sort it out but haven't got round to it yet.

I think it's because the springs are located in the wrong orientation in the top cup.

I rang Apex, and they told me I need something called "Sleeves" going on bottom to stop them from clunking.

They going to send a set for me without charge. :D

Anti-roll bar links?? I had a similar clunk on cambers, braking and accel. It just needed a 1/4 turn and it was solid. check it by raising the car and supporting the wheel, then slowly lower the car till the stress is removed from the link knuckles - give them a wiggle - if they move easyish with fingers - replace them.. about £20 for front pair. Tools - Jack, angle grinder( removal ), ring spanner, and an allen key

Anti-roll bar links?? I had a similar clunk on cambers, braking and accel. It just needed a 1/4 turn and it was solid. check it by raising the car and supporting the wheel, then slowly lower the car till the stress is removed from the link knuckles - give them a wiggle - if they move easyish with fingers - replace them.. about £20 for front pair. Tools - Jack, angle grinder( removal ), ring spanner, and an allen key

Everything is fine on the car mate, I just need the spring sleeves, thanks though. :D

Just fitted the sleeves came from Apex, and it was brillant!

Cured my problem. No clunking noise.

And we put the sleeves on top part of the springs. :D

They go on the top? I would have thought they would need to go at the bottom for some reason.

Do you have any pics of the sleeves, springs and fitting by chance?

Cheers :)

Yup, when we first fit it, I thought it needs top and bottom but the sleeves that apex have sent is only a pair like a meter long each so I was thinking it's only top or bottom.

We have tried to put it on top first and see how we get on.

Test drove the car, everything went fine! no clunking noise on full lock to full lock so we thought we did the right thing putting them on top.

Anyways, I will jack the car up and post some pics up. Maybe tomorrow. :D

Sorry to revive this thread!

i am having the exact same issue since having lowering springs fitted.

were you able to fit the sleeve with just jacking up car and removing wheels?

Back