• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Clutch Noise / Spigot Bush / Extended Warranty

Hi all,

Have a 2010 CTR with 37K on the clock (its compliance plate is 07/2011 and I bought brand new so really 5 years old). Anyway, about 2-3 months ago I started to hear a whining noise as I released the clutch from a stationary start (as well as sometimes in gear two from low speed take off) - essentially as I reach/near the bite point the whine is there then it goes away.'

Took it to my dealer and an engineer there (with 20+ years experience) went for a drive with me and as he heard it said 'thats the spigot bearing' (though I think its a bush). He seemed fairly certain but obviously not 100%. Honda Australia refused to repair it declining the PWA form (pre warranty authorisation).

Long story short, I got onto customer relations and back and forth with a Justin there - he was trying to get me to agree that I'd have to pay for the full repair (including the labour of taking apart the gearbox etc) if it turned out the noise wasn't something covered under warranty once they opened it all up. While I didn't explicitly agree and did kick up quite a stink - who would agree to that - eventually he's sorted it that my local dealer will assess it. This was the Honda Warranty Plus bought with the car i.e. 5 year extended warranty identical to the standard warranty.

In addition, theres 2 issues - both the engineer who road tested it as well as the service advisor at my local dealership said usually the clutch is changed at the same time. I repeated this to Justin from customer relations repeatedly, as I had noticed the shifting was notchier (more on that later) but he flat out said it would not happen, that wasn't correct.

The car has only done 37K and I've never pushed it hard - never been on the track - if at all accelerate fast up to speed but then thats it, no crunching gears etc. The clutch surely would not be anywhere near going? So what would cause the notchiness? I also notice that when I let the accelerator off, the engine breaking/slowly is noticeably jerky (I don't mean a kangaroo hop). Is this a sign of a clutch going? I also do seem to find it harder to find gears at low speed, i.e. few instances quickly reversing out of a car park, I'll not be able to get a gear.

1) When they open the gearbox etc, is it easy for them to visually inspect the clutch pressure plate etc? Should I suggest this?
2) Is there anything else I can have done to see if it resolves the notchy gear changes, i.e. transmission oil fluid flush?
3) Is there any driving tests I can do to check for clutch wear? pressure sure it doesn't slip if I cruise at say 40kph then flaw it, pulls quite strongly.

Thanks heaps!
Andrew

I too have a kinda wooo noise when pulling away always thought it was a exhaust resonance or engine mount a bit week. Never bothered me much as it's not loud. Not sure if I'd class it a whine on mine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I too have a kinda wooo noise when pulling away always thought it was a exhaust resonance or engine mount a bit week. Never bothered me much as it's not loud. Not sure if I'd class it a whine on mine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Interesting, sounds similar to mine. Its like a faint whine or wurrrrr for prob a second - I'll only notice it in 1st or 2nd year from low speed takeoffs. Thing is, I'm not sure exactly how to test the clutch for wear but 38K couldn't be needing replacing esp given I've had the new since new and drive it fairly sedately right?

Yeah this is a known issue I believe. When you get near the bite and start to pull away it makes a weird whirrr noise. I notice mine more if on a hill. Doesn't seem to do it once the car is heated up etc mainly when cold.

To my knowledge it doesn't cause any physical issues, The car should still work perfectly fine. As ive racked up more miles the noise seems to have cleared off. But yeah annoying to say the least. I think the solution is new clutch and flywheel however could be wrong.

Also ties in with the problem where the clutch pedal is stiff! Silly because I have owned far older cars with less annoying problems lol.

Back