• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

clutch noise

Hi I've started to hear a whistling noise while I pump the clutch and yesterday when car was stationary while the clutch was being pumped I could hear a slight squeak from engine im pretty sure it was under the air box might be cylinder. Car is on 80k I don't know if clutch has been changed it also bites straight away and has a funny feel when releasing all help would be appreciated thanks.

Low bite is typical of a tired pressure plate. It won't hurt for a mech to change the clutch fluid first, check the master and slave cylinders for wear/noises and if it's still there then start looking at the clutch.

Did this car come with service history?

Yes it has full service history but i think the clutch hasn't been changed. I will get cylinders checked out does the clutch take the same fluid as break fluid?

Yes. If it has had a clutch change it would be in the service history.

Yes but alot of people do work and don't keep receipts and also Honda did carry out a level one and two service when car was near 40k after that the regular services no paper work for clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only clutch isn't on the service schedule because it is an as and when item, so it won't be covered under a minor or major service.

Just my personal opinion but changing a clutch would be a major piece of the service history, as it is a selling point like a fully stamped up book. It would be foolish not to include that receipt but yes it is feasible that it's not been included. With you saying it bites near the bottom though I'd say it is still on the original clutch.

The only clutch isn't on the service schedule because it is an as and when item, so it won't be covered under a minor or major service.

Just my personal opinion but changing a clutch would be a major piece of the service history, as it is a selling point like a fully stamped up book. It would be foolish not to include that receipt but yes it is feasible that it's not been included. With you saying it bites near the bottom though I'd say it is still on the original clutch.
The clutch is still making a funny noise while being pumped on a cold or warm engine while stationary could there be wear on cylinders or is it the clutch the mechanic said its nothing to do with the cylinders can someone help.? Could it be release bearing or does anything need greasing??

Last edited by a moderator:
The clutch fork works on a ball pivot inside the bell housing. This will be dry and giving you the squeak when you depress the clutch.
You could try spraying lube on the fork but I doubt you'll get it near the pivot point. It's a part that needs to be cleaned and lubricated when you change the clutch.

The clutch fork works on a ball pivot inside the bell housing. This will be dry and giving you the squeak when you depress the clutch.
You could try spraying lube on the fork but I doubt you'll get it near the pivot point. It's a part that needs to be cleaned and lubricated when you change the clutch.
The clutch is fine apart from that the gears are slightly stiff but I'm changing the transmission fluid this should smoother the gears as with the clutch needs to have a look at the place where you mentioned.

Back