• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Pedal Problem

My Teg is a W reg (2000) on 53,000 miles. I have only had it since August 2006 (47K miles) so I cannot say whether or not it has had a clutch change prior to me owning it.

This morning when I reversed it out of the garage, I thought the bite point felt a bit low, but just put it down to me not sitting in the seat properly and being tired!
Then when I went to drive it a bit later I had problems. The pedal has gone very light till 3/4 the way down, then normal clutch feel, with the biting point very low. Needless to say I havent driven it anywhere, so I cant say if its difficult selecting gears etc...

I have just checked the clutch fluid reservoir, and there is virtually no fluid in it, maybe about 1-2ml sitting in the bottom, obviously well below the minimum mark. The car lives in a concrete floored garage, and there is no sign of any leaks anywhere.

The car drove fine on Friday night (some spirited driving), then wasnt used yesterday. The clutch has not shown any sign of slipping, and the gears have been silky smooth.

So I guess the problem is related to the lack of fluid in the reservoir, maybe the master/slave cylinder, and not the actual clutch its self.

I will be running it into the Ford dealership where my GF works tomorrow for some diagnosis, as they have a really good couple of mechanics there. Its only 5 miles, but am I likely to have a problem with the lack of fluid?? The only fluid I have at home is some Motul RBF600, would it be advisable to top it up with this - I presume it has the 'Honda' fluid in it at the moment.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments it would be appreciated.

On my service, I siphoned off the oil in the clutch reservoir and topped it back up with normal Dot 4 fluid. I would not think you would have any problems using Motul - better to have oil in the tank rather than none but wait for a more replies confirming this rather relying on me the car mechanic noob.:D

My mates Vti had the same problem, but you could see the leak from a pipe out of the bottom of the Clutch Reservoir.

I'm sure its the same as the brake fluid.

He clutch biting point was getting lower and lower as he lost more fluid. Until you couldn't engage the clutch any more. Topped up the fluid and fixed the leak and all was OK again.

Update: The Ford dealership my GF works for has found the problem. Its the slave cylinder. Aparently the outer seal (I think!) has filled with clutch fluid from where it was leaking, hence why I didnt see any leaked fluids on the floor.

As I have a 15 month Honda warranty from when I bought my car back in August '06, my GF called my local Honda main dealer up, agreed it can be done under warranty, and I am booked in to have it replaced on Saturday. Result! Think i will take the new FN2 out for a test drive whilst I am waiting for it to be fixed.

New slave cylinder fitted by Honda today, all under warranty
tongue.gif

Whilst it was being done I took the new CTR for an hours unacompanied test drive.... oh dear! :evil:

Back