• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch problems or somthing else?

i have a 04 ep3 face lift when driving around some times once ive fullly lifted my foot off the clutch pedal the car will try to lunge foward but other times it wont, to me that tells me pressure plate worn does anyone have any advice on this please? also when im down shifting into 1st i can feel threw the gear knob to what i can only explain as feels like the gearing if that makes sense its only first it does it and its when going from 2nd to 1st when pretty much at a stand still well rolling slightly so cant be more then 5mph i dunno if that would be related to the car lunging forward after the clutch pedal is back up to where it natrually sits i have noticed i do have a noisey release bearing aswell thanks for anyone help in advance

There's no synchro in first, so unless you have a perfect rev-match there will be issues shifting into first when moving.

EDIT: I was wrong, apologies Parkour, must have been thinking of something else :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked all the papper work that came with the car today clutch was last done on the 07.2014 looks like a euro car cheapie part looking at the price and that its only covered roughly 20k miles since 2014 , im a little confused apprently excdy is the OEM replacement clutch is this true or did honda use a differnt clutch from the factory? i was thinking of an excdy stage 1 organic and but using a bearing from honda direct

Just use the OEM Honda kit. There's been a few issues with Exedy replacements (even though they make the OEM one...), such as release bearings going within a few years.

You can buy genuine Honda clutches from Honda dealers cheaper than ‘OEM’ equivalent from other suppliers. A quick search on a well known auction site will point you in the right direction.
It should select 1st gear with ease at a slow walking speed (by the way all gears but reverse have a synchro). It’s only when you’re moving a bit faster that you may struggle to select first but that would be an unnatural gear change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guy's much appreciated a friend of mine let me drive he's ep2 1.6 and first thing I noticed was how springy he's clutch was compared to mine so I think I'll replace the slave and master at the same time and get the flywheel resurfaced at the same time

I would say a genuine clutch kit and change would sort this. I had mine done recently. No pedal, travel, lunging forward as so difficult to find the right biting point. Also crunching up high in the Rev range. Feels and changes perfect now

Hi new too this I have just bought a Civic type r think clutch might b on way out as bitting point is about 1 inch off the floor wondering on average price of supply n fitting a new clutch ??

With the problems I'm having with my clutch I was expecting to have a really low bite point bit mines really high up, but I found an genuine clutch kit for 170 no idea about the fitting as I'll be doing mine myself, the spoiler I'm not sure how to tell the fakes from the genuine I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer it for you better then what I can

Hi new too this I have just bought a Civic type r think clutch might b on way out as bitting point is about 1 inch off the floor wondering on average price of supply n fitting a new clutch ??

Where you based? If you are in the South East I have a mate in Essex who did mine and my bosses Clutch for a good price

Back