• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch release bearing nose.

Well after reading countless threads of people having the clutch release bearing noise i was just wondering if people just either waited until it is slipping before replacement or getting it changed as soon as the noise started?

ive just washed the car and noticed the bearing noise which obviously goes away when the clutch is engaged, its not that loud but when you listen for it you can hear it, now in some threads people say they have gone for like 9k miles before replacing the clutch so was just wondering what people have done in this situation?

cars done 77k miles atm so pretty much about the right mileage for a clutch? and any idea on how much it would cost?

Was meant to say "noise" not "nose" in the title oops ooh and its a EP3

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a quote for £470 fitted for a new clutch, does that seem to steep? or about right?

about right for a clutch kit afaik. I paid about £180 at tdi north afaik with the kit costing £180 or so

Depends on where you go. I think Area Motorsport had an offer. Around £400.

TGM are £450.

Ah he said the clutch kit was about £220 ive found them for around £160 but if £470 is about right then I supose it will have to be done, just paranoid with the clutch bearing wearing more

Yeah exactly my thought, got it in for monday at area motorsport, so gonna try and not use it until then, not a easy car to drive at low revs to say the least, last thing you wanna do with a worn clutch

Just been thinking about this noise and how it stops when pushing the clutch in etc, couldnt it be the gearbox input bearing and not the clutch? or have most of the people who have had the same issue solved it with a new clutch?

I'd that noise for I don't know how long. I did 3 track days and circa 35,000 km and the clutch never got any noisier and never started slipping.

but what tells me its not the clutch is when the clutch is pushed in it disengages the gearing as we all know, now if it was to be the clutch it would surely make the noise when the clutch is pushed down as that is when the clutch is being used

Back