• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Clutch smell

Hi on the way to work today I noticed clutch burning smell the smell is coming from one of the rear brakes I have groove discs and mintex pads they're only 2 months old. Someone said it might be a stuck caliper? What can it be ? and is it safe to drive ? Thank you

Stuck caliper i expect. Either the piston is rusted out round the edge and its not returning correctly or the hand brake mechanism has broken up and that is stopping the piston from fully returning.

Try jacking up that side and spinning the wheel with the hand brake off. If the wheel sticks then you know there is a problem. Is it safe to drive? This depends.... If the rubber seal around the piston has melted due to heat then you risk leaking brake fluid and this is not good. Best you get it looked at before you do any more driving in my opinion.

When mine went it was glowing hot and obvious which side. Calipers aren't overly expensive, 70 a side from brakes International. I replaced both of mine as I couldn't be bothered to have it happen again. I'd get it to a garage, if the sliders in the carrier aren't seized, I'd stick a new caliper on there. Hopefully the pads and discs haven't been overly cooked. Gas Mark 4 for an hour is about as far as they can go. But I'm sure a photo on here, or a garage could advise on the condition of the brakes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Brakes are binding mate, id put money on a corroded caliper piston that is sticking. I sent all 4 calipers off to BCS and they referbed them all, professionally painted them red and sent them back for around 350 quid. Bargain in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As above mate. Sticking caliper. Get it replaced and have the pads and discs inspected to make sure they haven't overheated or worn too far.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hello i have completely the same issue at the moment mate, taking mine in...thing is I've replaced all my rear brakes with brand new callipers, pads and disks and it has started to stick again. It seems to be very common with these cars. I originally thought it was the clutch. But i realised that when i was on a hill and the car was in neutral with the handbrake off it wasn't rolling back.....and thought to myself again???? grrrrrrr. I am not actually sure weather it is an issues which goes further than just the calliper because I've changed mine twice now??

Hello i have completely the same issue at the moment mate, taking mine in...thing is I've replaced all my rear brakes with brand new callipers, pads and disks and it has started to stick again. It seems to be very common with these cars. I originally thought it was the clutch. But i realised that when i was on a hill and the car was in neutral with the handbrake off it wasn't rolling back.....and thought to myself again???? grrrrrrr. I am not actually sure weather it is an issues which goes further than just the calliper because I've changed mine twice now??

Yours is likely you be a handbrake issue. It's not working as it should do. You need to investigate there

Don't know if this helps, issue with mine (had that clutch smell) was the slide pins were seized. I had them taken out, cleaned and well greased all is now fine.

Don't know if this helps, issue with mine (had that clutch smell) was the slide pins were seized. I had them taken out, cleaned and well greased all is now fine.

Yes that will also do it. Thanks for concluding your issue :)

Back