• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Woes

Hi everyone,

I have been driving my 52' EP3 with a wearing clutch for a while now. The car has covered 75,000 miles so I guess a new clutch was on the cards. Before I was not convinced it was a wear issue I dropped the car into my local Honda garage for a check up. They checked the fluid and took the car for a test drive and advised that it was not necessary to change the clutch right there and then and that it was OK for now. Not convinced I drove the car away and stuck with for a few more weeks.

Before it got to bad to drive I bit the bullet and dropped it off at my local Honda garage to have a new Clutch fitted. I have the old clutch and back-plate in the boot and it was pretty badly worn. However after having a new clutch fitted at a cost of £640 I am still unhappy with it.

The issue I had before getting it checked was not that I couldn't get gears. That has never been a problem. The issue is clutch travel and the biting point. There seems to be next to none. When lifting the clutch pedal from the floor it starts to bite about half way up. I then have around an inch of bite point before the clutch is fully engaged. The rest of the pedal does nothing. I can sit in gear and press the pedal 1/3 before it starts to release. I have taken the car back to Honda to explain the issue and after the engineer took it for a test drive he advised it was normal and that he could get all the gears. I uknow I get all the gears it's a biting pint issue. He advised me they are hydraulic clutches and cannot be adjusted...

I am not sure if this is a common thing with the EP3 but I am sure my previous 54' EP3 was not like this. It is difficult to control in traffic. I have no trouble getting gears at all.

Anyone :confused:

They can be adjusted, I remember a post about it a few years ago. Have a search, pretty sure it's come up before on here.

Thanks but I haven't been able to find anything which was why I started a new thread. I thought that they should be adjustable but the Honda engineer told me they were hydraulic and could not be.

I thought that although they are self adjusting (being hydraulic etc) I'm sure there is some adjustment for pedal height. Not sure if that may possibly help?
My EP3 is still on original clutch and can confirm that the biting point is definitely lower than my wife's which has had a new clutch.

Back