• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Code help please

Hello,

ive got a 2003 ep3. Car has been running great until recently, it seems to be using a lot more fuel. I was getting approx 280 miles to a tank, recently it's been as low as 240. Cars lights also dim down every time the aircon kicks in. So I plugged it into dash commander. Only code is p1298. So obviously a problem with ELD. Had a look at the loom and looks ok. The only other thing I noticed when reading codes was that it couldn't read the oxygen sensor or catalyst monitoring. Is this normal? Should be able to read the o2 sensor? Could this all be linked? Dodgy o2 sensor causing this? The only thing that's been done recently is having a b pipe fitted. Could this have messed it up?

Any help or or thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Not much help but there's a chap over on civinfo having ELD issues after fitting a stereo, he threw up a few codes O2 sensor being one.
Honda have changed his alternator, complete new fuse box including the ELD & still knackered, they're now telling him they could investigate it but the cost could be more than the car.
Secondary O2 sensor shorting was usually the case after googling ELD issues, I would start there & if it isn't then it could be a ball ache,
If the lights dim briefly then that's normal but if they stay dim under load it could be alternator or battery issues, the ELD connects to the alternator so alternator might be the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much help but there's a chap over on civinfo having ELD issues after fitting a stereo, he threw up a few codes O2 sensor being one.
Honda have changed his alternator, complete new fuse box including the ELD & still knackered, they're now telling him they could investigate it but the cost could be more than the car.
Secondary O2 sensor shorting was usually the case after googling ELD issues, I would start there & if it isn't then it could be a ball ache,
If the lights dim briefly then that's normal but if they stay dim under load it could be alternator or battery issues, the ELD connects to the alternator so alternator might be the problem
Thanks for that. Yeah I've recently had a stereo fitted, so could be that. However I cleared the codes then read the codes with the stereo on and engine off. No codes came up. As soon as I turned the engine on the code came up. Tried with engine on and stereo off, the code came up. I've ordered a second hand fuse box off eBay so going to try changing the ELD and see if that helps.

The chap over on civinfo has finally fixed his, after Honda fitted a new battery, alternator, fuse box & ELD
It turns out he was missing fuse #3 (alternator).
We kept telling him to recheck fuses so I don't know how one went missing.
Worth a punt though, 10amp for the alternator

Back