• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Coilovers

Lads

My tein front shocks are busted so i am getting new XYZ coilovers.

Has anybody got these and what are they like A.I Autosports are fitting them on Monday with my new HKS exhaust system

What's your budget? I would not trust sub £1000 coilovers; you're much better off just getting springs instead, such as Eibach or Spoon.

Well, suspension doesn't have to be over £1000 to be good...
But if anyone is happy to pay me £1000 for my coilovers, I will be happy to take it. :rolleyes:

I am clearing my stock of Zeta Coilovers for the EP3/DC5 at the moment to make room for some new coilovers (I'll post more details later).
The clearance price is £549.00 Delivered, you can find more details here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=63674

Here is what they look like: :cool:

DC5coilovers.jpg

What's your budget? I would not trust sub £1000 coilovers; you're much better off just getting springs instead, such as Eibach or Spoon.

My buddyclubs were less than 1k, much better ride than springs offer and alot more comfier than teins/d2's on the EP3

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of expensive coilovers are gear toward track / racing use.
What that mean is that their damper valving are not meant to be use on fast country road with bumps and therefore may perform poorly on such surfaces.

Many of the expensive Japanese Coilovers such as HKS, Apexi, etc have that problem.
They are great on track, but skip on rough roads and punish you when doing normal driving.

i spent £650 or so thats them fitted AI Autosports are the main distributer over here so if they say there good then i cant really argue

Because I have had two such sets on my car and they both failed (damper leaking) after just 14 months or so, plus the ride was harsh.

How long have you had them?

Not long enough to say they will work better than the d2's you had for example so I can't argue that.

But I do know 2 other people who have had them around that length of time, using them for track days and touch wood to date there has been no issues. I also did alot of research on them on the usa forums before going for them so Im happy they are up to the job.

Because I have had two such sets on my car and they both failed (damper leaking) after just 14 months or so, plus the ride was harsh.

That doesn't really make sense though, what changes above 1000quid..? If you had a certian make of suspension and it failed, is that because sub 1000quid coilovers are built from cheese or is it because how they were treated or maybe some other reason?. If you drive a car on stiff coilovers on british roads you have to expect to have to service them at some point in the near future. Coilover servicing is something no-one really talks about, but if you are having problems then take them off, strip them down and replace the worn/busted seals or if it is a manufacturing fault then the part will be provided for you. Oem suspension is quite capable of failing and does so. As are 1000quid+ coilovers if they spend most of their life on normal roads. Price has nothing to do with it, quality does, the 2 don't always necessarily go hand in hand. You can't take a standard car and kit it out with a host of go faster bits and not expect something to break, get loads of extra noise and parts wearing out more often etc etc...it's the norm.

What you will find a lot of time is that "X-brand" Racing coilovers are really made for racing.
What that mean is that they use hard spring rate and the rebound valve in the damper are very hard leading to a harsh ride AND limited durability.

That is a reason why harsh coilovers and leaking dampers seems to goes hand in hand.

A good set of suspension needs to move in order for it to work well. It needs to be stiff, but at the same time compliant.
If you have a set of suspension and the first thing on my mind is "My God THIS is HARD!", then it should ring some alarm bells right away.

Back