• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cold running issues

I'm after a bit of advice with an issue I'm having with my type-r.

When I start the car from cold (no problems starting)the engine judders and lacks power to the point of nearly stalling at times, its a similar feeling to that of running out of fuel!!
The issue occures when the temp gauge needle is on roughly1/4 of the gauge, and all issues stop when the engine is up to temperature.
The issue is most noticeable when the engine is sustaining around 2500- 3000rpm (i.e. 30mph in fourth).
To stop the problem I have to take the engine up to around 5000rpm (drop a gear or speed up!!)

I've changed the spark plugs as it's a cheap option but made no difference, my next thought was to buy a coil pack and change each one, one at a time to see if that makes any difference. After that I'm not sure...

has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the mileage of the car at the moment? Has the engine management light come on? Could be the map sensor or tps

Or you might have to change the fuel pump. A customer came to me with a VW polo that had the same problem. I changed the fuel pump in it. And the problem was sorted.

Get a professional to check the car out. Someone will have to drive the car to diagnose what it could be.

Good luck

Sorry for late response,
The car has done 59k. The engine management light cane on a while ago, which was diagnosed as being a electronic load sensor issue, the sensor was renewed and the light went out. Its popped on and gone off within an hour once since then. Since writing the post it seems to have stopped doing it as much, so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.
It's going in for an MOT this afternoon, so I'll mention it then. See what they think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back