• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Colouring carbon

Hi all ive come to the conclusion my carbon bonnet has had it now do i put my old standard bonnet on with immense stone chipping or get the carbon bonnet sprayed milano bonnet in question is buddy club i cant afford another carbon bonnet

Any body shop wil be able to do it.Id say max £100 for it to be re lacquered, there'll only have to scotch/flatten and spray on.

And that will sort it out for tge long tern whats tge chances of it happening again and how is it prevented

You could ask them to spray on thick. Or there are vinyls that are clear which concourse cars use to prevent chipping :)

Most of the time it is the resin that changes colour as it reacts with UV. A quality lacquer will be fairly good against UV but it is by no means completely UV proof. The lacquer on a carbon piece is there for shine and a little protection. It's a very thin coat above the gelcoat so I would be surprised if that alone would cause it to decolour that much.

But if you think it's the lacquer, check that there are no deep scratches/chips etc. Lacquer is not a filler, it will not fill the chips/cracks/deep scratches you might have in your bonnet. If you do, all the existing lacquer will need to be removed down to the gelcoat, keyed then sprayed. If it's into the gelcoat this will need a little more work which some bodyshops may not be prepared/competent to do.

thanks for that reply i cant see of any scratches or chips that are that bad tbh so i do reckon like you say "down to the gelcoat" :(

Mate have a chat with the guys at pit stop design gary should b able to help u have a look on there site

Mate have a chat with the guys at pit stop design gary should b able to help u have a look on there site
This is the third time you've been asked not to use text speak on the forum. Do not use it!

Just thought, why not have it wrapped in carbon?
It'll protect the already damaged carbon & still retain the carbon look you wanted :)

Back