• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Compression test

What is a compression test, and how is it done?

I'm considering to get nitrous on my 'lude (woohoo), but I've been told I need to do that test first. I went "oh, yeah, of course", only to realise that I had no idea what it was. Heh.

- Turkish

Depends... 2 ways, there is the standard whip the plugs out and screw in a compression tester gauge or

Leak past gauge that tests the sealing of the piston rings, for that IIRC its an oil out jobby.

A compression test is used to determine the condition (mechanical) of your engine. The results can then be compared to 'factory' values for your car model/type engine and any problem areas highlighted and, hopefully, fixed if necessary.

Tests can show up problems (denoted by typically low pressure readings) in areas such as worn seals, worn cylinders, faulty head gasket, broken valves/pistons, etc.

SharkyUK said:
A compression test is used to determine the condition (mechanical) of your engine. The results can then be compared to 'factory' values for your car model/type engine and any problem areas highlighted and, hopefully, fixed if necessary.

Tests can show up problems (denoted by typically low pressure readings) in areas such as worn seals, worn cylinders, faulty head gasket, broken valves/pistons, etc.

You must have googled that? :lol:

MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:

Defo! :lol: :lol:

Woohoo!

Can a regular mom-n-pop garage do it, or do I need to find a performance tuning centre to sort it out?

Turkish said:
Woohoo!

Can a regular mom-n-pop garage do it, or do I need to find a performance tuning centre to sort it out?

A regular garage will do fine.

MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:

No, not at all. I would have thought that a large number of car enthusiasts would have known to be honest! It's not exactly rocket science. :lol: I may not have a car right now, I may have a CPU instead of a brain, but I know a little bit about car engines, too. :lol:

Turkish said:
SharkyUK said:
I may not have a car right now

The admin of a car forum who doesn't have a car? That's almost as stupid as someone who hates football being the administrator of a footie forum*.

*) yeah, that'd be me.

LMFAO! I have a suitable smiley for the likes of us, mate...

big_loser.gif

Mind you, the Type-R went with the then-missus when we got divorced. What's your excuse?!?! :lol:

SharkyUK said:
MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:

No, not at all. I would have thought that a large number of car enthusiasts would have known to be honest! It's not exactly rocket science. :lol: I may not have a car right now, I may have a CPU instead of a brain, but I know a little bit about car engines, too. :lol:

Fair do's!

MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:
MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:

Fair do's!

:lol: By the way mate... if my reply sounded harsh I apologise! It was not meant to! :oops: Sorry!

SharkyUK said:
MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:
MilanoChris said:
SharkyUK said:

Fair do's!

:lol: By the way mate... if my reply sounded harsh I apologise! It was not meant to! :oops: Sorry!

Not at all mate :lol:

Back