• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cone or mushroom?

I have got a induction pipe to fit on the ep3 next weekend. ( long arm / krone or ally look)
unbranded.
It does not come with a filter and Im not sure what's best, a cone filter or hks mushroom?

When you say long arm do you mean like the AEM CAI that sits in the wheel arch?

Theres not a lot of room there IIRC so you may struggle with a mushroom.

Gain wise I can't see there would be a difference.

Yeh it's ni-on the same just don't have the sticker saying AEM.
Iv been looking at getting a cone with a heat shield , to help stop water entering. But I think a mushroom would sound betta/louder .

"krone" :lol:

Shape is irrelevent, flow and filtration are the important things. Mushrooms with foam filters (like the HKS) are generally the worst for filtration. As allen has said, the wheelarch is tight for space too so you'd struggle to fit anything bigger than the AEM style filter.

I have a green mushroom filter (the hks one in the link above actually) on my ep3 and sounds and looks awesome. Not sure on how much better performance is compared to the others but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking at the guys link I'd throw it away mate , I thought the same as you but turns out a genuine k&n is superior

I've moved the battery into the boot though and the filter sits where the battery used to be just behind the headlight with a cold air feed coming up from the fog light holes

Even still the whole engine bay gets dusty , you have a photo of your set up ,do you just have a straight pipe coming from your throttle body then and why did you need to moved the battery to the boot ? ( I know it is common to relocate battery )

Sounds about right, asks for advice: ignores it. Don't know why I bother sometimes.

Yeah the pipe goes straight like you just described. Am gonna get some over the weekend so will post one up here. The only reason I moved it was because I wanted to relocate the ik to where it was.

Hazz can you explain why a larger surface area would affect filtration, I thought the type of filter material would affect that. Educate me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surface area doesn't necessarily effect filtration, that was more of a reference to the high air flow. The problem with the HKS is the filtration media, the foam is far too porous to provide effective filtration.

I can't be bothered digging it out seeing as it was ignored anyway... But there's another study of used oil after filter changes, only the apexi & K&N filters reduced silicates in the oil. There was all kinds of crap in there with the foam filters, insects and allsorts.

When I opened the link It was all in Japanese.
When I cleaned the foam on mine it was absolutely filthy, surprisingly so. I'm hoping the new location will reduce the amount of dirt it picks up and not get as hot.

U tryna say I ignored it ?
I used the link and you can see a K&N filter is best for filteration , thought I mentioned that :s

Apologies, I actually got confused between yourself and lanky. Didn't realise two of you were posting.

Watch the text speak, it is banned on this forum.

Text speak becomes more of a bad habbit, rather than intentionally tying to shorten words.
How did you come across that link ?

It was on GTROC. I was researching filters for my GTR. I actually wanted the HKS because I thought it looked cool but after reading up I went with apexi.

The oil assessment is on there too somewhere amongst the hundreds of induction threads :lol:

e6u8enet.jpg

a4ejaput.jpg

uhe4umyj.jpg

Still needs a few bits doing to secure it in place properly. But here it is.

Will try get some clearer ones tomorrow

I see why you've done it like that but I thought the longer induction pipes produced more bhp . I don't know for sure why , could be to do with the air pressure in the pipe and would vary according the length and bore

Back