• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Constant Coolant Needing Topped up

Hi,

Is is usual for the coolant to need topped up every couple of months?

Also looking for a new passenger side rear light. Does anyone know of a good place to buy one?

Thanks,

I did check for leaks and doesn't seem to be any. Have drained and refill the system to see it if was a problem with the type of coolant, but it still need topped up every couple of months.

Thanks for the link :)

I would look for traces of white residue in the engine bay, as i think vapourised coolant leaves white marks on surfaces.

Check the coolant pipes too and from the radiator and any others you can access. Check for white residue under the cap where you top up the engine oil, as that may be an indicator of coolant in the oil?

Perhaps there is some stone damage to the radiator creating a tiny leak - the radiator on my previous toyota rotted right through one day although that did dump the coolant out all in one go!

Thanks :) I'll have to have another look for that residue. It's definitely not in the oil. I was hearing about stuff you pour into the radiator and that seals any small cracks. Do you know if that's any good?

Also I got a new light off ebay, that hendyeshop is hella expensive.

Thanks :) I'll have to have another look for that residue. It's definitely not in the oil. I was hearing about stuff you pour into the radiator and that seals any small cracks. Do you know if that's any good?

Also I got a new light off ebay, that hendyeshop is hella expensive.

Dont pour any type off seal blocker has they are no good just replace the radiator hoses if any of them seems leaking coolant

Don't use rad seal. Some of the waterways in newer engines are pretty small and this stuff can block them up. It can also clog the radiator and/or heater matrix.

Yeah, all heaters still work, although I've noticed they suddenly turn cold when I turn sharp to the left, then go back to hot when I straighten the wheel. Don't know if that's related.

Yeah, all heaters still work, although I've noticed they suddenly turn cold when I turn sharp to the left, then go back to hot when I straighten the wheel. Don't know if that's related.

That is normal
When turning it changes the distribution of the air in the car
When turning hard left the air inside the car moves over towards you and when Turning right the air from you moves away from you to passenger side

If your heaters work it means your system is sealed from the heater matrix and back to the radiator. So the leak will be from the radiator itself or on some pipework to/from the engine.

Back