• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Coolant problem - PLEASE HELP.

Hi guys.

In a bit of a dilemma. Checked the reserve tank on my 55 plate EP3 yesterday and it was completely empty. I unscrew the radiator cap and the coolant level is still visible, so I don't think any damage has been caused yet. However, this is where it all goes wrong (I think...)

I looked online for the correct coolant to use and I was told that "Honda Type 2 Readymix" is what needs to be used. It also said online that this is GREEN in colour. I assumed that I already had this coolant in the radiator at the moment as it was also green.

My dad went into my local Honda dealer and asked for some Honda Type 2 Readymix. They gave him 2 litres, however it is BLUE. (!?) He then proceeded to fill up my reserve tank with the blue Honda coolant and ran the engine, so now I have both green and blue coolant in my radiator.

Can someone please tell me what damage may have been done? Or is it okay?

Also - Has Honda, by any chance, changed their Type 2 Readymix from green to blue recently!?

Thank you.

Sam

Hi guys.

In a bit of a dilemma. Checked the reserve tank on my 55 plate EP3 yesterday and it was completely empty. I unscrew the radiator cap and the coolant level is still visible, so I don't think any damage has been caused yet. However, this is where it all goes wrong (I think...)

I looked online for the correct coolant to use and I was told that "Honda Type 2 Readymix" is what needs to be used. It also said online that this is GREEN in colour. I assumed that I already had this coolant in the radiator at the moment as it was also green.

My dad went into my local Honda dealer and asked for some Honda Type 2 Readymix. They gave him 2 litres, however it is BLUE. (!?) He then proceeded to fill up my reserve tank with the blue Honda coolant and ran the engine, so now I have both green and blue coolant in my radiator.

Can someone please tell me what damage may have been done? Or is it okay?

Also - Has Honda, by any chance, changed their Type 2 Readymix from green to blue recently!?

Thank you.

Sam
i think is should be ok sam if its the same spec coolant

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought. I went into Honda today and they confirmed that it is okay to mix the blue and green coolant. I don't have any way of telling whether or not the green stuff that's in there is Honda stuff though, but I assume it is as most of the car's service history is at Honda.

I'm going to keep an eye on the temp gague and I'll also check to see if any sludge etc is forming at all... But from what I've been told it should be okay.

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought. I went into Honda today and they confirmed that it is okay to mix the blue and green coolant. I don't have any way of telling whether or not the green stuff that's in there is Honda stuff though, but I assume it is as most of the car's service history is at Honda.

I'm going to keep an eye on the temp gague and I'll also check to see if any sludge etc is forming at all... But from what I've been told it should be okay.
hopefully should be fine for you then mate sure if you keep an eye on the temp gauge and keep checking the oil your k20 should be fine how long have you had your ep3?

hopefully should be fine for you then mate sure if you keep an eye on the temp gauge and keep checking the oil your k20 should be fine how long have you had your ep3?

Only had it about 6 weeks and loving every second :) yeah I've been checking the oil regularly and I've bought some good quality engine oil for when it needs it. It's an amazing car though, I'm really enjoying it :)

Only had it about 6 weeks and loving every second :) yeah I've been checking the oil regularly and I've bought some good quality engine oil for when it needs it. It's an amazing car though, I'm really enjoying it :)
yea they're a great car glad to here your enjoying it what colour is it? you should get some pics up

yea they're a great car glad to here your enjoying it what colour is it? you should get some pics up

It's a milano red facelift model :) puts a smile on my face every time I drive it :) and I will have to post some pics up here soon.

Thanks Chris.

Back